Boxers as Seeing Eye dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla's Mom

Super Boxer
I work with a woman who is a puppy raiser for the Seeing Eye. She has helped raise over 25 Lab puppies selflessly over the years. It has been such a joy for me as we have worked together for the past 15 years and I have had the wonderful opportunity to follow these crazy pups grow into such loyal devoted companions. When she lets me read the stories from the people who have the dogs she helped raise, I understand better how she can let them go each time. In fact, she was the one who introduced me to the boxer breed. I loved the intelligence and devotion of Labs but I was so allergic to their coats. She mentioned that boxers are used by the Seeing Eye for people with allergies because of their intelligence and temperment. In fact, my good friend's childhood boxer was a "reject" from the Seeing Eye. Apparently many dogs are rejected due to any health conditions and unfortunately our wonderful boxer breed is rejected the most. While I have seen many Labs, Goldens and Shepherds working in harness, I have yet to run across a Seeing Eye Boxer. I was just wondering if anyone has come across one??

Taryn and Layla

PS-Whenever I run into some ignorant people out there who make comments on how boxers are "dumb" or "ugly" I am quick to point out that the Seeing Eye uses them because of their great intelligence--Shuts them right up!!;)

DianeD

Boxer Booster
On Animal Planet's "Breed All About It," there is a seeing eye boxer. The lady that owns him/her has had 2 or 3 seeing eye boxers. As a matter of fact, she lives here in New Jersey and the boxers that she has had have been donated by a local well known breeder.

Layla's Mom

Super Boxer
Thanks Diane--I missed that episode and have been trying to catch it ever since--I did not know that it featured Seeing Eye boxers--I think I have an idea of who the breeder is!

Taryn and Layla

weslager

Boxer Booster
I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but we had a litter of puppies in July and the Seeing Eye in New Jersey was at my father in laws' house (who is blind), and they looked at the parents and told us that they were interested in one. They couldn't take all three, because they are not used normally, but they are used for people who have allergies and so forth.

They spent quite a bit of time with my two fur babies, and were very surprised at their temperments, and behavior (I was too actually, they can act real silly around people sometimes).

My husband drove the puppy up to the Seeing Eye and got the grand tour of their facilities. They named the puppy after the mother KIKI. They said they never heard of the name.

One of the trainers opted to be the foster family for her, so that will improve her chances of making it all the way through the program I hope.

We get little updates on her once in awhile, since my father in law will be getting a seeing eye dog, he needs a special one, he will be the first blind person in a wheel chair to have one, that's why it's taking so long, since it's new.

But they said if she makes it all the way through the program, they'll send us and 8X10 picture of her on graduation day. That would be wonderful.

I will keep you posted of her progress, and when (crossing fingers) she graduates, I'll make sure I send in the picture.

clowicon gradicon

weslager

Boxer Booster
Just a little side note, when the seeing eye decided to use the name KIKI like I said it was a first, so sometime in the future you hear someone call their seeing eye "Kiki", you'll know why. I know there is another member here who has a baby named Kiki, and their resembelences are remarkable. Just wondering where you (the one with their baby named Kiki) came up with it.

Scrapper's Mom

Boxer Insane
Just a note - you can buy those "Breed All About It" tapes on line at the Discovery Channel website. I have the Boxer one. :)

Holden's Mom

Boxer Insane
Is this the school in Morristown, NJ? If so, my son Chris and his boy Brutus see the dogs in training on a regular basis. I believe the school in Morristown is the one featured in the show.

Pam and Pete

weslager

Boxer Booster
Yes! That's the town, I knew it started with an "M" but wasn't sure. She won't be in "training" for awhile I would guess, but not sure if the trainer she is with brings her to work with him. Your son may or may not of heard of her. But the two people that we dealt with there was Pete and Chris (Chris was a woman).

If you do ask him, and he has heard anything, let me know, always interested in knowing that she is doing well, which I'm sure she is in the best of care.

Layla's Mom

Super Boxer
Yes, the school in Morristown is where my friend also works so I will inquire about Kiki! I know the puppies are raised for 18 months in a puppy raiser's home and then they go into training at the school, so what age would your pup be now?? Thanks for the tip on the video of Animal Planet!

Taryn and Layla

Status
Not open for further replies.