1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Average weight week by week

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by hortonrac, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hortonrac

hortonrac Boxer Pal

Does anyone know what the average weight should be in a puppy from week to week? My 14 week old male is about 17 pounds. Is that enough, or should I be feeding him more? I feed him about 1 1/2 cups in the morning, and 1 1/2 cups in the evening. This is our first boxer. You can see his ribs a bit, but other than that he is very muscular. Please let me know.

-Rocky's mom

2. SandyHG55654

SandyHG55654 Banned

Week to week wow that's a tough one! Puppies vary so much that it is very hard to tell you an exact amount. What are you feeding? If you are concerned about weight you could add in some "extras" like a spoonful of plain yogurt, (it helps with gas too) or even cottage cheese. I always fed mine a half a can of canned food in with their kibble at every feeding and I never had a problem with weight on my pups. You should be able to see a couple ribs on a boxer and that is normal. You don't want to have your pup gain too much at once either because it can be a strain to their system. Good luck. :)

3. NShea

NShea Boxer Booster

I don't know the "correct answer" but...my pups are 10 weeks and 11 weeks and both are 14 pounds right now.

4. LANDANO77

LANDANO77 Super Boxer

When we got Revan he was 6 weeks old and 8 pounds
    At his 9 week apointment he was 16 pounds
    And yesterday at his 13 week apointment he was 24.4 pounds

So he has been gaining about 2-3 pounds a week. And growing great. we feed him 3 times a day at 2/3 cup each time of Canidae. I am bumping it up to 3/4 cup since he is growing and the guidelines show to feed him between 2-4 cups a day . I dont think he needs 4 cups yet.

So i guess it depends on how much you are feeding and what kind of food.. We feed Revan the same amount the same times each day so his weight is pretty consistant.

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

The just isn't a meaningful average or growth chart for boxers. At 8 weeks, some pups are just 6 or 7 lbs, others might be 15lb or more. And that differential continues for quite some time (it is no indication at all of the size they will end as adults though).

17 lb at 14 weeks sounds perfectly fine. Actual weight isn't that important, but condition is. And on a boxer (including a puppy) you should always be able to see the outline of ribs. Not protruding ribs, but outline. It sounds as though that's pretty much what you're seeing on your pup, therefore he is a correct weight for his size.

As for how often you're feeding him though - twice a day may be a bit rough on a baby that young. Puppies, like human infants, don't regulate their blood sugar very well if they have to go a long time between feedings, and can even end with hypoglycaemia. Better to do as nature intended - feed little and often ;) Most pups of that age would be getting 3-4 small meals daily. And dropped back to twice daily feedings from around the 5-6 month mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.