Any aquarists here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolos

Banned
The best salt water aquarium I ever had was a 56 gal tub similar to a 65 gallon so you dont need a big tanks to do it (ive made a 5 1/2 gallon reef tank before). As far as money goes salt water fish are expensive but in my experience they live longer if taken care of, than freshwater. Coral is where salt water tanks get expensive. But if you were just going to do Huma Humas or other triggers Then It wouldnt be that much and salt water tanks usually only need a 10-20% water change every 2 weeks to be kept up. But if I were you I would stay away from aggressive marine fish. They really limit what you can do with your tank in the long run. A cool non rather non aggressive fish you could try. Is a Harlaquin Tusk Fish they look mean and colored nicely but are pretty good with other tank mates. and NEVER get eels they like to kill themselves they can get out of any tank.

Just a few tips. If you or anyone are thinking of setting up a salt tank you can PM me and ill help you out.

Heres a pic of a tusk fish you cant really see the teeth on this one but they are big and menacing

http://www.centralpets.com/pages/critterpages/fish/saltwater_fish/SWF2299.shtml

Mama_Zookeeper

Boxer Insane
I love my aquariums...currently have 1 55-gal community tank (angel fish, a pretty ugly Raphael catfish, and several clown loaches among the bigger ones), a 20 gal tank with 2 red ear slider turtles (very tiny & amusing), and 3 ten gallon tanks (1 with guppies and the other two with siamese fighting fish). My sons use the small tanks as night lights and love having their very own pet. I am getting ready and doing research for a salt water aquarium.

Dora & the Zoo Crew

MacFish

Super Boxer
Macfish- sorry to hear about your jacks...I started with a group of 6 rams and ended up with 2 surviving. Do they have any specific symptoms?

Yeah they all did the same thing. Their color gets really faded and it looks like they have a swim bladder problem. They kinda twitch and flip around for a few minutes out in open water. Once I feed them, they go back to normal for a while. Eventually, they all died. I still have 2 left but I think they are going to do the same. They are just babies. They are less than 1/2". I've been doing small water changes every few days. It isn't a new tank. It has been up and running for almost 4 years so it is well cycled.

robynkendall

Super Boxer
We have a 55 gal tank with a large Angel and a couple other fish. We would really like to do either a saltwater tank or cichlids. How hard is it to take care of saltwater fish??
We haven't had any luck with live plants but whenever we change our tank we will probably try again. Any tips would be appreciated!

Robyn

esalinas6

Boxer Pal
i have kept fish for yrs, right now i have a 30 gallon, with two medium size Oscars in it, one black and one albino...i love them and love fish. i love cichlids, hope you find them interesting also.

jo.mcqueen

Boxer Booster
I have kept fish for 3 years have one tank with 2 angels, 1 silver shark, 6 red eyed tetras, 1 redtailed black shark and one wee neon tetra (had loads of neons when i first got the tank the rest all died but he/she is still going strong 3 years on)

Ashe

Boxer Booster
I Do Too
I have a 10 Gallon Tropical Tank, I have a pair of Breeding SwordTails {I have Babys right now} I hope to add more soon, a pair of Golden Gouramis, a lonley Neon and a Sucker fish to clean the glass {Sorry can't think of the name right now}
Take Care
Jen

lh4x

Boxer Buddy
I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 blood parrot fish, 1 white and black spotted convict, 2 plecos, and 16 of my now deceased firemouth cichlids and blood parrots babies! I also have a 35 gallon hexagon saltwater tank with a few different colored damsels, a huma huma trigger fish and a dwarf lion fish. I got the saltwater tank for christmas, so it has just now gotten perfectly set up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.