1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Months Old Dock or Not?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by dchaves, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dchaves

dchaves Boxer Pal

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I am sure glad I found out about it! Thankful for the info!

My 3 month Lola was brought to me last week from Cuba, I was wondering if I should get her docked? Is their any health benefit? Or is it purely "look" ? I actually like her with her tail. The vets here are telling me that very few places actually dock boxers.

2. joannaryan

joannaryan Boxer Insane

Usually their tails are docked around three days after birth. If you like her tail then I wouldn't take the chance in having it done now. Docking the tail is purely cosmetic anyways and it could be a very painful ordeal for your little one. There are alot of boxers that still have their tails. If you like it, then I would leave it. Good luck :)

3. dchaves

dchaves Boxer Pal

I think that is what I am going to do! Thanks for your feedback!

What about spaying? any particular age?

4. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Definitely don't dock - at this point it would be considered an amputation. There's lots of different opinions out there on what is the best age to spay. Most of the time it is suggested to wait until at least 6 months old. Personally I would consider to wait even longer, possibly until 12-18 months. This site provides a lot of links where you can learn more Veterinary Village LLC & International Canine Semen Bank WI Brownsville/Lomira
    However, if you decide to wait until she is a little older there is a high likelihood that she will go in heat before you spay her. And that means you have to be extra extra careful to make sure she does not interact with any male dogs (that are not fixed). Male dogs in your neighborhood might actively seek her out so you definitely would have to pay very close attention. If you think you can not make sure this won't happen I would encourage you to spay her before she first goes into heat (around 6 months old to be on the safe side).

5. dchaves

dchaves Boxer Pal

Thank you for your feedback it's greatly appreciated.

6. LVMYBOXERS

LVMYBOXERS Boxer Booster

I am from Cuba and I am wondering how you were able to bring a dog from Cuba. It is so cool! A Boxer from Cuba. Wow! I did not even know that you can buy a pure breed Boxer in Cuba and bring it to America.

7. AmISarge

AmISarge Boxer Booster

New to the World of Boxers...

and I "wondered" about the tail(less) ones...thought they may be like manx cats, with the stub (genetic).

Rusty has a tail, and it hurts when he wacks me with it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.