Our newly adopted dog!!

BoxerMoments

Super Boxer
Our boxer boy who we got as a puppy sadly passed in July and although we were planning on waiting longer to get a new dog, this one kind of just happened. Well, more like I have a petfinder problem! Anyways, I fell in love with him as soon as I saw him and just knew he was meant to be ours despite our plan of waiting. We just got him two days ago. He is 7 months old and not sure what he is a mix of but would love to find out at some point. Unfortunately we have yet to agree on a name for him. Mostly our girls hate the name the other picks. Typically.

This whole adopting thing is definitely new to us though. Getting a puppy I felt like I new what I was getting myself in and this is very different. He seems to be really good although I know he's not fully being himself since we just got him and he hasn't adjusted yet. He was panting a lot the first day and wouldn't sleep at all. Now he is sleeping and relaxing a little more, although still very jumpy to noises and shadows me everywhere I go and gets up every time I move. He isn't house or crate trained at all so it's basically like having a new puppy since he doesn't even try to hold it so we are working on that. I always loved this site when we had our Boxer boy so I couldn't help but come back even though this one is a non-boxer. Anyways, just wanted to share a picture of our new addition, image.jpg so here he is!

BoxerMoments

Super Boxer
Also, as I mentioned he's not crate trained. He's having separating anxiety which is understandable given he wasn't taken care of by his original owners then was at a shelter for about a month and a half before coming here. He hates the crate. Does not want anything to Do with it. We had a wire one set up the first night then tried a plastic one the second night and he seemed to like it a little better and at least didn't bark the entire night. The problem is its a little small and he definitely won't fit in it for long, maybe a couple weeks. Should I look into getting a bigger plastic crate or do you think I could possibly switch him to the wire one once he really settles in here with us? Crate problems isn't something Ive ever dealt with, along with this being our first adopted dog. Our boxer boy loved his from the beginning, but again he was a puppy so a different situation.

Roge

Boxer Insane
Wow what a beauty you've got there !! He most likely associates the crate with being locked up , I dont crate but from reading threads on here it seems a good idea to feed and give his treats in the crate , the point being that he will start thinking of the crate being the place where nice things happen.. He is only a baby and hasn't had the best of starts so I'd say he is just confused at the moment .. I'm sure he wil settle in soon ..
So sorry for the loss of your Boxer !

BoxerMoments

Super Boxer
Thanks! Ideally I'd like him to not use a crate in the long run. Our boxer always had to be crated because he would get into trouble as soon as people weren't around but he loved his crate so it didn't matter much. I definitely can't leave this one out at the moment because I would assume from being in a shelter he doesn't even try to hold going to the bathroom. I am starting to pick up on his barely there ques though, but basically lots and lots of trips outside. Less today and he seemed less stressed out so that probably helped too. Hopefully tonight in the crate goes a little better. We started leaving a radio on when he's in there too since every little noise makes him look around. He has been better with that today too. He seems like a great dog so far though and I'm looking forward to seeing his full personality soon!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
What a handsome boy! He looks like he is part Shar Pei and who knows what else. :) If you try the wire crate again, you might try covering it with a blanket or something, so make if feel more like a den.

Good luck!

LoveMyDoggie

Boxer Insane
What a beautiful puppy! We never crate so I can't help with that but as far as potty training and being jumpy I can relate. We rescued Daisy at 8 months old and she had been bounced around for a couple months. It was also a 350 mile ride home for her. It took about 3 weeks for her to settle down and be herself ( she was a wacko those 3 weeks ) and with her not being a younger puppy it only took about 30 days to house break her. She was left outside as a puppy so of course everywhere was a bathroom for her.