Will he grow taller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
I have a male Boxer, he's well he JUST turned 13 months old a couple of days ago. He's about 62 pounds and 22 inches at the whithers. I know it's all guessing (in fact I tell people this myself), but anybody think he'll get much bigger? If so any guesses on how much?

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
I've had a boxer continue growing past 14 months - so it does happen. But at the same time, you'd have to say that if he hasn't finished growing, he must be very close to it (so it would be surprising if he snuck in more than another centimetre or two). Can you recall how long ago his growth plates disappeared from view? That might help to estimate whether or not he is likely to continue to grow.

22 inches is within the height range specified by the boxer standard for males, so its not as though he's undersized or anything. He could probably stand to be a lb or 2 lighter for that height though ;)

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
I've had a boxer continue growing past 14 months - so it does happen. But at the same time, you'd have to say that if he hasn't finished growing, he must be very close to it (so it would be surprising if he snuck in more than another centimetre or two). Can you recall how long ago his growth plates disappeared from view? That might help to estimate whether or not he is likely to continue to grow.

22 inches is within the height range specified by the boxer standard for males, so its not as though he's undersized or anything. He could probably stand to be a lb or 2 lighter for that height though ;)

According to my vet he is the perfect weight. Actually she had said she'd like to see him gain a pound or so as she felt he was just a tad underweight. He isn't fat by any means, has a waist, you can see ribs at times. I'm not concerned about his weight in the slightest.

Growth plates? How can you tell if they've disappeared or not?

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
He's a heavier-than-normal-boxer frame then? All are individuals, of course.

Growth plates? How can you tell if they've disappeared or not?
Visually ;) Growth plates are the soft areas at the ends of all his long bones - which allow for growth. Once those harden and close, no further growth is possible. On puppies they're extrememly obvious, especially around the joint where foreleg meets pastern (it's why puppies have those great lumps or 'knuckles' on their front legs). That isn't the only growth plate, of course - there are at least 30 within his skeleton. But that is the one that is blindingly obvious and easily observed.

Anyway, I would expect that they're no longer visible on a 13 month old. Its more a question of how long since they completely smoothed out that might give a clue how much time remains for growth.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
They're still obvious visually? That's unusual for this age (they diminish out of obvious sight well before they actually are fully closed)... Well, if they are, then you can be absolutely certain that he is not yet finished growing, nor even close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.