When to start agility training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
Hi

I am the first time owner of a very energetic 7 month old Boxer called Gina. We have been to puppy pre-school and dog obedience classes using lure and reward training techniques. I'm really keen to keep her well exercised, but she is an absolute terror! She will not always come when called which is a huge problem. I would love to do agility training, but I doubt she would behave well enough. How old should a boxer be before commencing agility training? At 7 months old am I expecting too much by way of obedience?

Many thanks for any help.

sjtorr

Boxer Booster
My training centre won't allow a dog to go into agility training until they have completed beginner obedience ( not puppy obedience) at a high level of ranking. I'm almost done advanced 1 obedience and only now do I think she'd be able to succeed in agility.
Something else to consider... Agility may require more jumping than her joints are ready for. Especially boxers, need a little longer for joints and bones to strengthen before getting into jumping activities. It will also be very taxing on her brain... How long can you hold her attention? Is an hour pushing her ability to focus? Lots to consider... My personal opinion is it might be too much too soon.

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
Hi

Thanks for your advice. I sometimes think I expect too much of her. Her attention span lasts a nano-second! I am just keen to keep her brain and body exercised to have a happy and content dog. I'm currently looking for some other dog obedience classes which will keep us both on our toes!

sjtorr

Boxer Booster
You can also teach her fun tricks. Lexi had seven weeks of crate rest when she broke her leg... We had to get creative to tire her out. And she was seven months at the time. So I taught her things like putting her chin in my palm, her nose under the arch of my hand, to touch, the names of her toys. Then we did things like crawling, peekaboo, roll over, it just goes on. At the end of trying to teach her something new, I almost always finish with chin and nose and touch... They are easy and I know she will succeed so it's a great way to finish :)

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
Hi

I think I've been a little too focused on getting basic commands perfect. Gina may have been missing out in the "fun" department recently. Thanks for the ideas. Its a glorious sunny Sunday morning here in Christchurch. Gina and I have just come back from our morning walk, and I think it may be a bit of fun time now!

furrykidmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
There is always one person who disagrees.

Our puppy started agility class as he was finishing puppy etiquette class. He did not have a solid sit, down or stay. A beginner's agility class is just getting them familiar with some of the obstacles. We are not doing anything at height yet because he is still growing. He will not start jumping at his height or doing weaves until he is around 18 months. Some people will start at 12 months. I feel better waiting until he is fully grown.

Try a class. Find a place that will let you start and pay by the class. This way if it is not working out you can wait. For my boy it was a great way to burn off that energy you are talking about. My boy turned 11 months today. He is doing the A-frame at low level as well as the catwalk. He loves the tunnel and the chute. cant get enough. He jumps thru the tire on the lowest level and only a few times because we do not want to stress his joints. Same with jumps, at the lowest level and never more than a few minutes.

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
Hi

I am about to start a new obedience class on Wednesday evening and they also do agility and scent work. I will ask them for advice about starting classes.

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.