Socializing a puppy with other people, guests, and so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berkana

Boxer Pal
Hi BW :)

I would like to have your advice about how to socialize Vito (3 months old) with other people.
For a start, my first "problem" is how to manage him when people come over to our place to visit.
Our trainer said that in the begining, no one should touch him, look at him, or pay any attention on him. Belive me, that can be very hard, since, not only must i train the dog, but I also must tell guests comming over not to do that, and that is pretty much more difficult, because Vito is adorable puppy, and many people just don´t understand why they cannot touch him, or pet him. And sometimes, even my family don´t understand why is that necessery.

Regarding Vito, he likes to approach people (beeing outside with him, he notices people, and if I wouldn´t have a leash, nothing could stop him).
When guests arrive, he´s acting like a true boxer puppy, he is happy, full of energy, and when people pet him he becomes to high energetic on them.
Yeah, people usually don´t mind that, since he is small and cute, but I have seen much boxers not being raised proper, and what is cute when they are pups, is terrible when they are adults.

He really is sa smart dog, he learns very fast, and a big bonus is that I am with him whole day, so i have the time, energy and will to train him, but sometimes it is harder to "train" other people.

I need a really good advice on this matter, not only for me, but for my family too. I need to explain them why we must do somethings, and even i get confused now in the begining.

Please please, help.

Soon we must start teaching him to go to subway (since we don´t have a car, and need to take him to vet) with us, so i need me and my family acting like one.

Thank you

Last edited:

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
I can't remember the age of your pup.

There is nothing wrong with the training methods you are following......BUT at some point when the pup settles down, there NEEDS to be some interraction between him and your guests! That's the important step to socializing.

With ignoring the pup, it prevents him from progressing his energy level to one that pups just aren't mature enough to control......this is when you see leg/feet nipping, hand nipping, even a temper tantrum too. Giving him time to settle down BEFORE introducing allows him to learn to control his excited behavior - as he will learn the quicker he settles down, the quicker he gets his lovin' from everyone! This should be the same out in public as well. He may not approach anyone until he is settled enough to meet in a pleasant manner.

The important part of training is the consistancy - consistant in all places AND by ALL people!!! If one person in a family of 4 doesn't step up the plate and follow the rules, it teaches the pup that behavior isn't expected all the time and when the pup reaches the teen years, oh boy! Look out cause he will push limits even more so cause he has learned that people aren't consistant and some can be easily manipulated - a trait that boxers are famous for! So, your whole family must be on board with the training and the guests that visit must also, as hard as a puppy is to resist, the explanation of "training for a well behaved boxer for LIFE" should be enough. As you said, a misbehaving, untrained 75 lb boxer can be a real mess! Just look at how many 1-2 yr old boxers there are in shelters! That's the reality of no training!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Hi BW :)

Our trainer said that in the begining, no one should touch him, look at him, or pay any attention on him. Belive me, that can be very hard, since, not only must i train the dog, but I also must tell guests comming over not to do that, and that is pretty much more difficult, because Vito is adorable puppy, and many people just don´t understand why they cannot touch him, or pet him. And sometimes, even my family don´t understand why is that necessery.

I have never heard of that.

I think it is best if he isn't made the center of attention. Your guests should probably ignore him to start with, but should be able to greet him as long as he is calm. Don't allow him to do anything as a pup that you don't want him to do as an adult, especially no jumping up. All four paws should be on the floor before anyone can pat him. I think the more handling as a pup the better.

Berkana

Boxer Pal
Lilylarue, Vito is 3 months old.

It could very much be possible that I didn´t understand the trainer well, because she was with us the whole day, and there were so much informations to absorb, so i forgot some things she said.

It is logical to me also that the pup should be touched and get attention when being calm, so all you said makes very good sense to me, and I will follow that.

Again, sometimes is harder managing people then the pup. Many of them have no experience with dogs, and since this is our first dog, we want the best possible education for him.
But I also don´t want to be the kind of person that corrects her own guests, telling them don´t do this, don´t do that.

So i started my own tehnique that seems to work fine. When guests are here, and he wants to aproach them being hiperactive I call him to come to me, and then tell him to sit.
He sits, and is calm by my side. When he relaxes totaly, i let the guest pet him.
And again, if during interaction with guests he raises his energy, i call him again, he comes, and then we repeat the sit and calm down tehnique.
I don´t hold him while doing that, sometimes i very gently stroke him to make him calm.

Is that ok, what do you think?

LoveMyLoki

Boxer Buddy
Loki is 3 months as well, so i am right with you. My trainer has me introducing him to everyone, but the rule is he has to be sitting before he gets any attention. Hard to manage but hes getting it.

I cant imagine ignoring a puppy :( i know i would hate if people came over to the house and ignored me.

If Loki wants attention, we put him in the sit position, with him trying to get the treat out of my hand, while people pet him. that helps teach him not to jump.
After that he doesnt really care about them anymore and goes off to play.

Berkana

Boxer Pal
It is good to know this about sitting.
We just had guests yesterday, so it was a great time to test Vito, esp. because one of the guests is very affraid of dogs.
Vito behaved good. We had to correct him few times, but not too much.
It was interesting to see that the first person he approached was that lady who was affraid of dogs.

Can anyone explain this? It was interesting to see it. He wasn´t agressive or anything like that, he acted happy and chearfull, but i had to call him not to bother the lady.
Even she said he was well behaved, and, comming from a person who has fear of dogs, i take it as a compliment.

Berkana

Boxer Pal
Hi, me again.

We still have problems with greeting other people. Can you give me some advice how did you manage to teach your dog to greet other people coming to your home in a calm way?

The same thing happens outside, when we are walking. People see the pup, and start to aproach him, and then he goes wild, trying to jump, acting crazy happy.

Many times people that come or notice him go crazy over him, being so cute, and at that time it is hard for me to correct other people (uselless if you ask me) and the dog. So i guess he takes advantage at that moment.

Please, any advice will help.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.