Nature's Variety Prairie Raw Instinct

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcbrair

Boxer Booster
Well, I've been doing my food research and found a store in Racine that actually carries decent dog food. What's more, I talked with the store manager today, and he actually seems to know something about what he's selling. Go figure. ??? :)

Anyway, I would like some advice on switching over since this will be a big dietary change for my dogs. Will be mixing the Raw Instinct with Nutro - what mix ratio should I start with, and how gradually should I switch over?

Also, is the Raw Instinct great as a stand-alone diet, or should I plan on always mixing with another food?

Thanks!

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Raw Instinct looks to be an outstanding food :) One of the best available, on ingredients. And whilst it's still pretty new, there are a few members here who feed it - all of whom have reported excellent results so far (no negative comments at all).

The only caution I'd make on it is that it is probably not suitable for growing puppies. So best fed to dogs 18 months and upward.

Here's some info and a review: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=522&cat=8

As for how to switch to it - same as with any other dry food. Start with a mix that is 25% new food (the Raw Instinct) and 75% old food (Nutro). Feed that for a two or three days. If there are no tummy upsets or loose stools, then increase the mix to a 50/50 split. Feed for a few days, then go to 75/25 and finally to 100% new food. If at any stage in the switching process there are any loose stools, then you should hold off on increasing the amount of new food in the mix until everything settles back down.

There is no need to mix Raw Instinct with anything else on a permanent basis. It's better nutrition than most dry foods ;) Your dog may enjoy some canned food or other goodies added though! And real meat, whether canned or cooked, never goes astray ;)

rmcbrair

Boxer Booster
gmacleod said:
The only caution I'd make on it is that it is probably not suitable for growing puppies. So best fed to dogs 18 months and upward.;)

Emma's just about to hit that mark. Orlando's a couple months away and definitely still in gangly growing puppy stage, so I will have to hold off with him. His mental and physical growth seem to have been a little retarded (but progressing nicely) by a bout of starvation during puppyhood.

gmacleod said:
Your dog may enjoy some canned food or other goodies added though! And real meat, whether canned or cooked, never goes astray ;)

Yes, no treats or meats are rejected in this household! :)

Thanks, and by the way, do you ever sleep? ;)

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Good question! Since it's 4.20 am here... :rolleyes:
I am not normally awake at that time though LOL And will be departing very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.