bereavement and dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

carole

Boxer Insane
Since we had to get our old cat PTS sleep last week, Star has been off her food and generally restless and pacing about :( She is also looking for attention all the time and not doing what she is told outside when off lead.

I am putting rescue remedy in her water and wondered if there is anything else I can do to get her through this?

She is usually a very independant dog and I hate seeing her like this.

curb_pks

Boxer Booster
So sorry to hear :(

We had some foster dogs that Gracie really enjoyed. Then they get adopted and she acted like this. It's really sad ot go through but they get over it.

hanley

Boxer Insane
they do mourn the loss of their family members,the best thing for her would be a new kitten,does she have any other playmates?They can get very lonely & depressed,its hard to see them like that.We had it happen to us last year,nothing seemed to help but a new baby. Hanley

brwneyesk8

Super Boxer
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. My thoughts go out to you.
Star will come around...she's mourning the loss of a friend in a similar way that we do. A little extra attention and a few extra treats may help console her and some extra pets will do the both of you good. Good luck and hugs to you both!

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
Keep the dog as busy as possible with fun things to do that the dog enjoys. Dogs (and cats) do mourn and deeply feel loss of another companion.

Common sense, as you would use with a person who has lost a loved one, can go a long way in helping your dog. A loving and guiding hand, keeping the dog occupied and happy will have him back to his old self in no time.

Sorry for the loss of your cat. I know you must be devastated. You and your beloved pet are in our thoughts and prayers.

Taliesyn88

Boxer Booster
Animals grieve just like people, and to help them get over the pain they have to be kept busy, and shown as much love as possible. I am so sorry about your cat, 2 years ago Rusty's feline buddy Buster was ran down by a moron going 70mph. The person in the minivan did not even slow down or stop, even though my fiancee was outside watching. Both my fiancee and Rusty were devastated. Buster was a unique cat, he loved dogs much more than cats. Rusty and Buster used to play outside, Buster would tease Rusty by running very quickly past him, and Rusty would chase him. I know Rusty grieved without Buster, but at least he had Casey to keep him busy. A few months later we got another kitten, and named him Willie. Rusty and Willie are now buddies, in fact you can see pictures of them in my gallery. It will take you all some time to get over the death of your cat, and you will never forget her--although the pain will become more bearable. In a few months, I recommend you get a kitten, and start to raise it around Star. I betcha soon they will become fast friends!!!

Our thoughts are all with you and Star now, we know things will get better, and our thoughts are with you.

carole

Boxer Insane
thanks for your replies :)

We have been trying to keep Star as busy as possible with plenty of runs so will continue with that.

She is now an only pet and will probably stay on her own til we get another boxer which will probably be some time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.