boxer mix or not boxer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stam

Boxer Buddy
A neighbor has a dog that some people have told me is a boxer and the owners have told me the breed is African. I don't know if there is such a breed as I haven't been able to find anything on this breed by looking on the internet but it was very nice looking and I wanted to know more about it. It seems to be to have some boxer features so I thought possibly it is a boxer mix but maybe there is some other breed that is somewhat similar in appearance to a boxer. The head is completely white except for the ears which are black and the body is also completely black except for the chest which is white and the feet and the legs up to the knee are white. However, the muzzle is longer than a typical boxer and I know black isn't a boxer color. The dog is female and is larger than other boxer females I have seen as she seems to be about the size of male boxers. Unfortunately I don't have any photos. Does this sound like a boxer mix or is this another breed completely?

harley03

Completely Boxer Crazy
Could it have possibly been some sort of a dane mix???
Boxer's don't come in black (only black "striping", which is known as brindling). That's not to say that the dog could not have a boxer parent I guess, it could have inherited the black from another parent.
you could do a google search for mastiff dog breeds and that could help you find breeds which are closely related to the boxer.

stam

Boxer Buddy
I don't think it was a dane mix as it's much smaller than a dane although I haven't seen danes in person but from looking at photos on the internet it seems quite different. If the dog's color were fawn or brindle I would have thought it was a boxer even though it's muzzle is a little long. However, the owner told me the dog wasn't a boxer or boxer mix but was a completely separate breed called African but I don't think that is a breed so perhaps whoever sold them the dog misrepresented that. I thought perhaps it was a boxer that had inherited the black from another parent although the chest and feet and some of the legs are white. Also the head is completely white except for the ears which are black. Some of my friends told me it is a boxer but it's an albino boxer. I told them that white boxers aren't albinos; they're white and anyway this dog only has the head white, the body is black with a white chest and feet and some of the legs. Thanks for the links. They were very interesting.

harley03

Completely Boxer Crazy
You are right about the albino thing. Albinos have NO pigmentation.
I personally haven't heard of an African either, I think your friend may have gotten jipped.

stam

Boxer Buddy
The African Boerboel doesn't seem to be the dog either. I think the neighbors probably got jipped.

rainyday

Boxer Booster
good call

I was gonna say the same thing. American Bulldogs sometimes look a lot like Boxers. When they are younger they even have some goofy traits too. But their snout is longer, black and white are common colors and the are larger than the Boxer standards.

lisasentous

Boxer Insane
How about getting a photo of the dog and post it on here, then I am sure someone will know what breed it is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.