1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zuke's Hip Action

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Lolita, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lolita

Lolita Boxer Booster

Has anyone heard of this product? I bought it today for my puppy. It is a natural treat that has glucosamine and chondroitin in it. It also has vitamins, minerals and amino acids in it. Lola absolutely loved it! You are supposed to give one treat per day to help dogs with hip and joint problems. I would love to hear other people's opinions about this. The website is www.zukes.com.

2. Lolita

Lolita Boxer Booster

Fyi

The Ingredients of this natural treat are:

Nutritional Information
    One bite (approximately 9 grams) contains:
    Glucosamine Hydrochloride (pharmaceutical grade)* 300mg
    Chondroitin * 250mg

Ingredients:
    Beef, Durum wheat flour, Fructose corn syrup, Gelatin, Beet Molasses, Glycerin, Apple pomace, Corn germ, Glucosamine Hydrochloride*, Chondroitin *, Dried cheese, Canola (preserved w/mixed tocopherols), Wheat gluten, Lecithin, Carrot Flakes, Salt, Phosphoric Acid, Garlic, Natural smoke flavor. Vitamin Supplements Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), A, D3, E, B12, Zinc oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Niacin, Taurine, Copper sulfate, Sodium selenite (source of Selenium), Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous oxide, Riboflavin (B2), Pyridoxine hydrochloride (B6), Ethylendiamine dihydriodide (source of Iodine), Biotin, Folic Acid.

3. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. What do you define as "natural"? (noting that there is no regulation of that term in dog food).

I understand it is a treat, not a dog food, but if I saw a dog food with the following ingredients, I wouldn't buy it: Durum wheat flour, Fructose corn syrup, Gelatin, Beet Molasses, Glycerin, Corn germ, Wheat gluten, Salt, and artificial flavouring ("Natural smoke flavor"). Lots of very common allergens, salts and sugars there...

4. Lolita

Lolita Boxer Booster

Natural

Actually, the reason I wrote that it was natural is because the package says "Natural Treats." I am not exactly sure how natural is defined but based on what you said it sounds like this would not really be considered natural. I was drawn to it because it had glucosamine and chondroitin in it and seems easy to feed. However, my main question is if this is something safe to feed puppies to prevent hip and joint problems. I guess since it has some potentially problematic ingredients, I should reconsider.

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Well, as I noted, it is a treat not a dog food... so - except for allergic dogs, or those with conditions like diabetes - it's a bit like deciding to give your kid a candy bar. A little probably won't hurt, living on it probably would.

With all that said, there actually isn't any evidence (or at least, none that I've ever come across) to suggest that glucosamine and chondroitin are at all useful in preventing the occurance of joint problems. They may however be useful in easing the pain caused by those conditions once present(possibly even in slowing degeneration, though the jury is still out on that one).

6. Lolita

Lolita Boxer Booster

Thanks

Ok, that information helps. Sounds like it would be best to only give this to dogs that already have a problem with joints. I appreciate this information. As usual, you are a wealth of information gmacleod!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.