1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoey Doesn't Like to Eat

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Zoeys_Mom, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoeys_Mom

Zoeys_Mom Super Boxer

Does anyone else have a Boxer who won't eat? When Zoey first came home, she was eating Nutro Large Puppy food. She seemed to like it just fine, and usually licked her bowl clean. Then she went off of it, and I had to do everything within my power to get her to eat. Then I decided to switch to Chicken Soup, and she loved it sooo much she was licking the bowl clean again. Then she stopped eating that too. So I started to add plain fat free unsweetened yougurt (Yoddie we call it!). She loved that, and licked the bowl clean once again. Now we have moved in with Olive (Weimeraner) who is her best friend. I have gotten Zoey to eat 1 1/2 cups in 3 days, and thats all she'll eat. She's starting to look skinny, and I'm worried about her! Last night she sat in her kennel for an hour and wouldn't even walk past her food. She didn't want anything to do with it. She stayed in the back of her kennel until I took the (now useless dried yogurty) food out and threw it away. My Mom who has never had a dog says she'll eat when she's hungry, but she hasn't eaten in 2 whole days! I can't switch foods all the time, and it's getting expensive throwing out food (the downfall to adding yogurt) she won't eat. Does anyone have any suggestions? We did just move, and I was thinking that it was just the stress, but she has done this before several times. And when I mix her food, she looks at me all sad and almost 'gulity' as if to say "Oh no, she's made that food that I won't eat, and then she gets angry when I won't eat it". Please help, I don't want my lil Zoey to starve. Thanks.

2. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

Sometimes they will go off their feed under stressful situations. I she drinking water? I would be more concerned about that. Have you tried feeding her out of the kennel? Good luck

3. Zoeys_Mom

Zoeys_Mom Super Boxer

She loves to drink water, and I can say that that hasn't stopped at all. I usually feed her out of her kennel, but when she won't eat, I will put it in there, and she'll usually eat a little of it. But not recently. She's just not interested. I was going to try and leave out her measured daily amount for her to consume at her own pace, but now that we have another dog in the house, I can't because Olive tries to eat Zoey's food, and they are on different brands.

4. rockysmommie

rockysmommie Super Boxer

How old is she? Is she teething? Rocky has his good days and not so great days with food. He's just not that interested in his food, he'd rather be playing, digging holes, or spending time with me & my husband. Everyday when we get home from work, one of the first things we do is see if Rocky ate his food or not. He's about 6 1/2 months now. He's doing better then he was. We add things to his food too, like chikcen broth or warm water. Somedays he loves it and licks the bowl clean and other days he doesn't care. But I guess when they're hungary, they will eat.

5. Zoeys_Mom

Zoeys_Mom Super Boxer

Zoey is almost 6 months. I never thought of Chicken Broth. Maybe I'll try that tonight when she gets home from Doggie Daycare. Thanks!

6. agilityboxer

agilityboxer Super Boxer

When we first brought Keagen home she did the same thing. She would not eat a bite until late at night when there was nothing going on in the house. It was like she was scared she was going to miss something... I put chicken broth on her food, mixed canned fish in with it when she got too skinny. At the time I just free feed her, so I may have added to the problem by her knowing it would always be around.

7. graciegrace

graciegrace Boxer Booster

Of all the things I have added to dry food, cottage cheese seems to be their favorite by far if they won't eat anything else.

8. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

As long as she is staying hydrated by taking water I wouldn't worry too much. I would give her a chance to eat at her normal time. if she doesn't eat it take it away. She will eat when she gets hungry if she isn't sick. I wouldn't leave it out nor would I start adding things just to get her to eat.Good luck

9. avma

avma Boxer Pal

I had a problem with getting my girl to eat when she was a puppy. She would rather play than eat. Actually...I still have a hard time sometimes getting her to eat and she's six now! :) Anyway, I highly doubt it's the food that's the problem. With my girl I make her "earn" her food by doing something for me first before I give her her bowl. Usually it's just a sit. Then if she doesn't eat after fifteen minutes I take it away. Yes she went a few days without food, but she eventually learned that her food would get taken away if she didn't eat it. With the sitting thing she ends up caring more about her food cuz she feels like she earned it. Anyway...she started eating much more regularly. These days I can just leave her food and she'll get to it when she gets to it, but sometimes she goes on a streak where she won't eat. When that happens I just go back to giving her fifteen minutes again. That usually "straightens" her out again! Good luck, but definitely don't switch foods!! Oh, and I put some olive oil in with her food.

10. Zoeys_Mom

Zoeys_Mom Super Boxer

Zoey also has to do something in order to get her food. But lately when she complies, I will put it down, and say "Okay!!" and she just sits there looking at me like "I don't want that!". But maybe I'll try and stick to the 15 minute rule. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.