Zira is sick - pancreas

ZekeZira

Completely Boxer Crazy
Zira hasn't been doing well - lots of vomiting, so we've been to the vet a few times in the last two weeks. This last time, she had extensive blood work. The last of it came back today and basically it seems she either has pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer. My poor girl. We are going to try her on some ultra-low fat food that I'll pick up this afternoon and antacids, I think the Dr. said...and work to keep her very hydrated. He said we'll try that for a couple of weeks and see how she does. Please cross every finger and toe and send every good wish for my sweet pea. I'm not up for research yet but if you have experience, please share.

Roge

Boxer Insane
If pancreatic Cancer is the same in dogs as humans it is a silent one and only shows up in tests when it' has gone secondary so I'd imagine that If Zira had it it would be presenting in another area so I'm going with pancreatitis so I'll be keeping everything crossed that I'm right !!!!!!

mistydwilson

Super Boxer
Does she seem like she is in pain? I've had 2 that had pancreatitis and the common thing is that I could tell when they had a flare-up b/c I could tell they were hurting (and also the throwing up). Kringle had chronic pancreatitis that began when she was about 18 months. It took a lot of trial to find a food that she could be on consistently. Easton has had a couple of instances of it over the last couple of years. My vet recommended a very bland diet for a week or so after a flare-up. I would cook them chicken breasts and rice, with all fat removed from chicken before cooking. Neither one was really interested in eating when it happened, so the chicken and rice was good to get them interested in eating again. And I would cut out all treats as most store bought are higher in fat too.

I hope she feels better soon!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Poor Zira! Hopefully it is just pancreatitis and not cancer. Sending lots of positive healing vibes your way. ----->>>>

ZekeZira

Completely Boxer Crazy
Does she seem like she is in pain? I've had 2 that had pancreatitis and the common thing is that I could tell when they had a flare-up b/c I could tell they were hurting (and also the throwing up). Kringle had chronic pancreatitis that began when she was about 18 months. It took a lot of trial to find a food that she could be on consistently. Easton has had a couple of instances of it over the last couple of years. My vet recommended a very bland diet for a week or so after a flare-up. I would cook them chicken breasts and rice, with all fat removed from chicken before cooking. Neither one was really interested in eating when it happened, so the chicken and rice was good to get them interested in eating again. And I would cut out all treats as most store bought are higher in fat too.

I hope she feels better soon!

She is very subdued, compared to her usual self, and when the vet examined her last week it seemed she might have been in some pain when he was feeling around on her abdomen - she didn't yelp but gave him a serious look. I'm not sure if that means she is consistently feeling some pain or not, dogs can be so stoic. But she is quieter and resting/sleeping more. She was not interested in food for several days but an anti-nausea shot and fluids helped her to feel better. He put her on Hills I/D, both hard and canned. And no treats - there was much woe when I left this morning from both her and Zeke. Luckily, she loves the food and ate it eagerly. Vet stressed how important it is to keep her well hydrated but I am not quite sure how to do that. I work and am gone all day and can only see what she drinks when I'm there and last night it didn't seem like she drank very much. sadicon

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
You may or may not remember the struggles I had with Thor and pancreatitis. He rarely showed any pain, which is why he was misdiagnosed for about a month. The biggest clue for him and his pancreatic flares is he would become restless. As much as I am surprised I am saying this, I hope Zira has pancreatitis, and pray it is not cancer. If it is acute, she should recover from it and life goes on. If it is chronic it means life long changes, but can be managed. Please keep us posted.

ZekeZira

Completely Boxer Crazy
You may or may not remember the struggles I had with Thor and pancreatitis. He rarely showed any pain, which is why he was misdiagnosed for about a month. The biggest clue for him and his pancreatic flares is he would become restless. As much as I am surprised I am saying this, I hope Zira has pancreatitis, and pray it is not cancer. If it is acute, she should recover from it and life goes on. If it is chronic it means life long changes, but can be managed. Please keep us posted.

I do remember Thor's struggles. I email our vet yesterday to ask a few questions and he suggested keeping tramadol on hand to help make her more comfortable as pancreatitis can be quite painful...I'm just not sure how to tell when she's hurting. I also asked him what his gut feeling is regarding a diagnosis and he said he's split 50/50 between pancreatitis or cancer near her pancreas. Obviously not what I was hoping to hear. :cry:

mistydwilson

Super Boxer
I email our vet yesterday to ask a few questions and he suggested keeping tramadol on hand to help make her more comfortable as pancreatitis can be quite painful...I'm just not sure how to tell when she's hurting.

Each dog is different but when Kringle had it, she was just uncomfortable. She would pace, then lay down for like 3 seconds (literally), then back up pacing again. I can tell when Easton starts to flare up b/c he gets grumpy. Many little things that he normally is fine with, start to agitate him. He growls at things more and gets frightened easier. Thank goodness Hardt didn't have this issue b/c, like Thor, he never showed his pain.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Hopefully Zira is getting better, but if the recovery is slow, can they do an ultrasound to get a better look as to what is going on?

ZekeZira

Completely Boxer Crazy
Update on Miss Zira: She is doing great! She loves the food the vet put her on and she has gotten her wiggle back! She has been playing in the yard, running inside the house, and back to being the most generous kisser in the house. applauseicon

I think we are in the clear for it being a pancreatitis attack, fingers crossed, and not something worse! She protests mightily at not getting her usual types of treats - she absolutely hates carrots but will grudgingly tolerate a green bean, so we are getting there. Thanks for all of your good thoughts and support - I think they worked!