zigzag teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohemiansoul

Boxer Buddy
Hi,
we have a 3 1/2 month old boxer, who is jus getting new teeth. Lower teeth came out well, but the upper did not push the baby teeth out and as the new came out the baby once did stay in mouth, now his upper teeth look like a big joke to us. We love him anyway but we wanted him to be the base of our breeding kennel that we are setting slowly up as he has wonderful pedigree.
Are the teeth going to straighten still?? or will it stay this way??
I thought that the reason may be that we could not give him bones as everytime he got one he just got a diaorhea so the baby teeth did not fell out in time to give space to thenew ones. Could that be possible??
cheers

s

boxer

Boxer Insane
3 1/2 months is pretty early for all of the adult teeth to have come through. As for whether they straigten - well that will depend to an extent on exactly why they're crooked in the first place. The cause may not be solely the baby teeth, but also how much room he's got for his adult teeth. If he hasn't got sufficient room, such that his teeth are crooked as a result, then what it actually means is that his muzzle isn't wide enough. A good boxer head/jaw should be as wide as possible (well, technically 2/3 of the rest of the head, but being too wide is a rare fault while being too narrow is common).

A wonderful pedigree isn't enough to qualify a dog as the basis of a breeding kennel (actually, most people would use a bitch rather than a dog as the basis of a 'line'. It is an easy matter to use someone else's stud.). Still, he needs to be shown, and you need to get qualified critiques on that head of his. The boxer is something of a "head breed" and the head is generally acknowledged as being one of the more difficult parts to get right. That being the case, I personally would not start a breeding line with a dog with a significant head fault, however good his pedigree. Murphy's law dictates that that's the one trait he'll pass on ;)

But we're talking about a 3 1/2 month old puppy here! Heads do change significantly, so it's really something that you're going to have to wait and see on. Do get him out in the show ring though - that's your best bet for advice from experienced people - who can see him in the flesh - on how he may develop (and the head/mouth in particular).

Bohemiansoul

Boxer Buddy
thanks

I have a lot to learn, it's just great that this site is here to help and I would love to thank you for your reply. We love Charli no matter what he is just great... thank you for your advice it' s really worthed

Lennox_ATL

Boxer Buddy
I'm confused. Lennox is about 3 1/2 months old and I believe his last baby teeth have still not come through. At what age do boxers typically get their last baby teeth, and what is the age range during which their adult teeth should come through?

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Puppies typically get their adult teeth between 4-5 months old - so don't worry, at 3.5 months, Lennox is just due to start replacing his baby teeth.

I believe he does have all his baby teeth though - or at least, all he's getting. That would happen in his first few weeks of life ;) Why do you think some are missing?

Lennox_ATL

Boxer Buddy
I suppose he does have them all. I suppose that some of them are so tiny that they look like they haven't come through all the way. But I guess they're just that small. So all is good! Time to look out for bloody teeth falling out soon I guess... Should I avoid playing tug-o-war with him during that period? Or does it not really matter?

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
I would certainly avoid playing it too roughly, yes. He'll need lots of chew toys (or better yet, raw bones) during that time though - and actually for a few months afterward. LOL - he needs to do some serious chewing! The adult teeth, although present, don't fully set in the jaw until between 6-10 months of age (so don't let him put too much of his weight into it when playing tug till he's at least 10 months).

Lennox_ATL

Boxer Buddy
Lennox lost his first tooth today! Ok well I can't find it anywhere but I can only assume it was today. I guess he is on schedule... Can't wait to see his adult teeth come through

TorreysMom

Boxer Pal
My Torrey has crooked bottom teeth also! She has a boxer buddy at day care, Leo, who has crooked bottom teeth just like Torrey's! And, last week as Torrey was chewing on one of her bones, I noticed that she was missing one of her teeth from up top, a little one, front and center. I took her to the vet and they said it was an adult tooth (she is 11 months), but not to worry. They said it was just cosmetic and if it bothered us that much to take her to the doggie dentist where they could fix it for $1,500! I think we'll leave it as is! She looks so pathetic when you pull her lips up!

Status
Not open for further replies.