1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zeke's Startin to nip! (long)

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by Russell, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell

Russell Boxer Booster

Hey guys I have yet another question:rolleyes: My Zeke is going to be 2 on Thurs. now he for some reason has began to not tollerate small children this is not a good thing due to me having an in-home daycare now he has snaped and has lightly bit twice and I'm staring to get concerned:( now on Zeke's behalf he was provoked ear pulling, grabing collar ect. not to mension he has a 14 month old skin brother who is also still learning to be nice to the puppy! It isn't the older kids, we have gone over the rights and wrongs with playing with the dogs and I must add that the kids are always supervised "he's biting when I'm in the room" it's getting to the point when the toddlers get near him he moves, witch is wonderful I always praise him when he does that :) Is this just his way of scolding the kids himself? i don't hit him I just tell him "NO" and I also make the kids tell him sorry and then he gives them kisses is there something else I should do? I know dogs will bite but is there a class I can put him in to help him tolerate the small ones better? Also he has had some changes in his spoiled life with his skin brother and new fur sister is he just jelous? HELP!!! I also would like to say for the record that in no way are we going to get rid of Zeke or put him down due to biting he was our first kid and we'll keep him until his last day! I know kind of off the subject but I just wanted to let everyone know not to worry too many dogs are re-homed due to this it just breaks my heart!

Heidi

2. diego's heart

diego's heart Boxer Insane

Oh no Zeke :(. I'm curious about "why" too. Although I'm no expert, I do read and study canine behavior as much as I can. What I do know, is because this happening to kids in your care, I would remove the opportunity for that happening again until something is worked out. It seems that Zeke is *nicely* indicating that ear/collar pulling is not appreciated. However, Zeke must know it's completely unacceptable to nip or growl, etc. Has it only happened in this situation? Or do you suppose he's trying to play? Regardless, is it possible for you to separate the younger kids and Zeke? Or perhaps he needs to be tethered, even to you?

Jealousy is another thing. Was Zeke before kid(s) and daycare? If so, it's entirely possible and if so, take steps to reestablish your leadership of your "pack". If you haven't read or purchased/checked out The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell - get it!

I'm encouraged you haven't hit/spanked Zeke appicon as it is unnecessary and can easily cause worse problems.

I'm hoping one of the moderators or experts comment soon! Give the kids (((hugs))) from me... ~ Lisa

Last edited: May 19, 2003
  3. diego's heart

diego's heart Boxer Insane

Hi Heidi,
    Following is a thread where I pulled this quote - the poster is also a home daycare professional:
    http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25509

Something else to be aware of... ~ Lisa

4. Russell

Russell Boxer Booster

"Thanks Lisa"

As always you seem to give me geat advice:) Zeke has been raised with the daycare but one of the kids he snapped at first was a new kid who is really hyper and has never been around dogs so he's the one I have to really watch around Zeke. He also has a time out room he goes to when the kids get roudy or when he gets tired of being played with but I aggree he should not be doing this he's been around these kids all his life that's why I'm wondering if it's his age? I don't want to keep him locked up all day or on a leash, I'm afraid that will make things worse! he might think that the kids are the reason he's in trouble. One thing that I do notice is how he cowers down and sulks when he does bite he knows that it's not ok and he gives the kids all sorts of kisses afterward, I know he feels guilty! I just want him to stop biting and I want to make sure the kids don't fear him and for the matter fear all dogs! I will get that book I've heard it mentioned several times on these sites again thanks for all the help! Zeke and Zoey give Diego wet kisses and boxer high fives!! Can't wait to come and play again Wahooo!!!!

Heidi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.