1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Advice for Brides to Be

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tesster, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Samson

My Samson Super Boxer

Thanks, Melissa! I've also had people tell me to do a cardboard cake (with the bottom layer being the only 'real' layer for the cutting tradition)...buy sheet cakes of the same flavor and just serve that. They claim that you can't notice that the cake is actually cardboard and no one knows since it is cut in the back!

Anyway, if you want to continue with more ideas - I'd LOVE to hear them. :)

2. Lucymom

Lucymom Boxer Booster

Hit the Christmas tree shops or craft stores for some centerpiece ideas. No need to spend a fortune on floral centerpieces when you can do something simple like a candle.

A cousin of ours did a fishbowl with one goldfish per table as the centerpiece. It was such a great idea, although a logistical nightmare I'm sure. One person at each table took home the fish. I had mine for close to a year after the wedding and we never forgot it!

Do invites and programs yourself too. Any specialty paper store will have something you can use for an invite. No need to spend a lot on an invite only you save! That's what we did.

Good luck!

3. Roxygirl2006

Roxygirl2006 Super Boxer

My 2 cents

Okay, here are my 2 cents (I got married in June 2005):

Pick your battles!!!! We had a very elegent wedding on $10,000. And I penny pinched every inch of the way! Keep in mind that weddings are multi billion dollar industry, and if you don't like the service you get somewhere remind them that you can and will find someone else to give your hard earned money to.

Here is what i did: I chose the things that were most important to me, things i wanted to "splurge" on. 1. was my dress 2. photographer (which took up half my budget!) 3. reception site.
    the cake, the favors, flowers, etc. weren't that important to me, so i didn't put as much money into them.
    For example, for our ceremony music, I hired an accoustic guitarist to play and cost a tenth of the price of an organist or a band.

For favors, since 90% of them are still on the table at the end of the night, i spent $0.28 per person. I went to Michael's craft store and got a case of votive candles (with the holder included) i think it was like 12 for $5 or $6. then i got a translucent paper and glued them to the votive, wrote mine and Dh's names and the date - VOILA! they produced a really romantic atmosphere at the reception too, and served as part of the center piece.

Our reception site included desert with the dinner, so we got a smaller cake since there was no need to have so many deserts.

I don't want to go on and on, but check out wholesale flowers too, sooo much cheaper.

4. tesster

tesster Boxer Insane

Nichole is totally right. You can have a very elegant, beautiful wedding on a $10k budget. You have the advantage of time. Good planning and research will save you more than anything else.

We, too, picked our battles. Our wedding for 120 people ended up being about $13k. I picked our reception site/food first because that was my priority. We spent most of our budget there.

However, because the location we chose was an art museum (already beautiful) AND everything was included with the recpetion, we saved a LOT of money and headaches on decorations, china, table linens, chairs, servers, security, (all the things that you don't think about and don't want to have to) etc.

The big thing to remember is that little things add up and it's SO easy to get carried away with them. Invitations, favors, personalized stickers, thank you cards, decorations, etc. All of those things are adorable and seem nominal, but they add up fast and will kill your budget. Govern yourself strictly on those kinds of things, remembering that at the end of the day they will be thrown away and/or left behind at the reception. On the must haves like Thank You cards, go simple.

I don't know your feelings on the cake, but you can have one made by someone at your church, a friend of a friend, someone your mom knows, etc. for a couple hundred bucks. Ask around for anyone who knows someone who does wedding cakes as a hobby. Check out their portfolio and if you're pleased with their work, go for it. You do not have to spend thousands on a nice cake. (NOBODY WILL REMEMBER IT - especially if you serve alcohol at the wedding. ;)) My father-in-law is a baker, so that was a non-expense for me.

Budget appropriately for flowers. They are a major expense, no matter whether you buy them in bulk or buy them arranged. I went pretty simple on flowers because of the location. Too much of anything would have taken away from it. I also have a friend who arranged them for me, so our flowers were only about $500 because we bought them in bulk.

If you're serving alcohol, serve beer and wine only. That saved us a bunch and kept the general level of intoxication to a reasonable level.

Honestly, my wedding was perfect and I didn't compromise on anything that I cared about. Everyone had a wonderful time. Everyone commented endlessly on how elegant and beautiful it was. I couldn't have spent over $20k if I'd tried. I didn't compromise on anything that mattered to me, but I didn't go for every little thing that my initial impulse was leading me to either.

You've got plenty of time. Oh - I used www.weddingchannel.com for help with planning tools. They have a pretty good guest list manager and budget manager. You can also do a wedding website there, which everyone thought was super cool. Search for a sample. They are fun. Our website is still up, but includes contact info, so I can't post the link.

Good luck! You're right on track!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  5. Leila'sMom

Leila'sMom Super Boxer

Congrats! That's the day I got married too!

6. Leila'sMom

Leila'sMom Super Boxer

Our wedding was perfect for us. Since we paid for the entire thing. I cut corners wherever I could. I spent less then $2,500 and no one would have ever know. I was not stressed or upset the entire time. I leisurely made our favors, flowers, arrangements, bows etc with the help of my bridal party. It was all so wonderful. Our honeymoon was in Jamaica and cost less then our wedding and we were there 4 nights, five days all inclusive at the Rose Hall Wyndam. I love being married. The hardest thing was changing my name after our wedding which wasn't that hard. :)

7. tesster

tesster Boxer Insane

That's SO cool! Congratulations to you too!!!

I see you're from Dallas. Were you married there? I was! My family lives there. We were married downtown at the Trammel Crow Center. We stayed at the Westin downtown for our wedding night and there were like 3 other weddings staying there. How funny would it be if yours was one of them. :) (I'm acting as if Dallas is a small place. ha haa)

The name change thing IS a pain. I have just changed it w/ my company and the Social Security office so far. Can you believe that the passport office wants you to MAIL your passport?! What are they thinking?

We went to Maui for our honeymoon, which was awesome. I'm going to check into the place you went, though, because my friend is getting married in Jamaica in July. We want to go, but I can't justify spending $5000 to go to Jamaica after having spent 7 days in Maui 3 months earlier. :) If I can get a good deal, I might reconsider

OH another piece of advice - don't buy the name change kit advertised everywhere. It's a waste of money. You can find the list of places you need to change your name and forms online. The biggest thing to remember is that the Social Security office and your employer MUST have the same name on file for you. If you change one, change both.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  8. Leila'sMom

Leila'sMom Super Boxer

I sat for 3 hours to get my name changed with the social security office. It was nuts but everywhere else is super easy.

We got married in an historical train station in Allen.

My best friend works in the Trammel Crow building.

We used worryfree vacations I think. It was amazing! The resort we stayed at was wonderful. And their alcohol starts at 75 proof! We also had a direct flight from DFW but I am not sure that is a good idea from CA.

Good Luck to you & yours! :D

9. tesster

tesster Boxer Insane

What a cool place to work! We were married in the Crow Collection of Asian Art and had the reception at the restaurant in the highrise, Ajia, just behind the museum. I'd recommend it to anyone. They were wonderful to work with!

Thanks for the honeymoon information. I'll definitely look into it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.