1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Advice for Brides to Be

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tesster, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesster

tesster Boxer Insane

I just got married on 4-March and feel compelled to share some wisdom that I learned over the journey. :) I'm having wedding planning withdrawl. :D I don't know what to do with myself.

Here are my pearls of wisdom:

1. Pick out bridesmaid dresses that they can try on and take home. Do not fall for the made-to-order bridal shop scam.
    2. Spend your money on the things that matter the most to you and don't get carried away spending on things that nobody will notice and/or don't really matter (wedding favors fall into this category - nobody wants it and most forget it).
    3. Always have thank you cards and stamps in stock. The only sincere thank you is one that is sent promptly. If a gift is not acknowledged in a timely manner, that's all the giver will ever remember about your wedding. You don't want to go to all this trouble to be called "tacky" behind your back. :)
    4. Be decisive. Make decisions and move on to the next one.
    5. Do not let the stress of the event and the things that go wrong ruin it. Your attitude is the only thing capable of ruining your wedding.
    6. (One more) KNOW your LIMITS, when to delegate and when to simply say no. Do not let people put things on you, especially when the day gets near.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  2. K8IE

K8IE Boxer Insane

Congrats on your wedding Julie! I hope it was awesome! I am sure that this advice will be very helpful to brides to be. I am happy to say that I followed all that very good advice and had a great wedding. (Although it was almost 7 years ago)... We kept it simple and had a wonderful time without the stress! :)

3. FrogsMom

FrogsMom Banned

I second everything Julie said. Also, take the time to enjoy your engagement. It is a magical time and so many brides dont "stop to smell the roses" along the way.

4. My Samson

My Samson Super Boxer

I'm recently engaged and saw this post and went 'wow' I should definitely read this one...and I just want to say thank you for thinking of us brides to be. I will definitely take you words of wisdom to heart!

We aren't getting married until May of next year. We are already going to visit some ceremony locations this weekend...and with the research I've done so far - I can understand how this can be stressful!

If you don't mind my asking - how much did you spend on your wedding? We are paying for the majority and have about 150 people on our guest list (of which really can't be dwindled down)...so, we're looking for ways to cut costs! We have about $10,000 saved for the wedding and through the research I've done so far - what we have saved isn't much!

5. Austin's Mom

Austin's Mom Boxer Insane

My advice would be to remember that it's YOUR day, so plan everything the way YOU want it, not what anyone else wants.

6. Donna1969

Donna1969 Boxer Insane

I have one to add...don't stress yourself! RELAX, enjoy the time planning. In other words, don't sweat the small stuff. Its about you and your hubby to be..not about which relative wants to be seated (or not) next to who, who won't eat anything on the menu (let them pack a sandwich) This is YOUR wedding, you do NOT have to invite that neighbor that your mom and dad (or future in laws) lived next door to years ago who invited them to their kids wedding. If you don't know their last name..I say off the list :)

Oh and instead of favors, why not donate that money you'd spend to a charity and leave notes to the guests informing them of your actions..how about a Boxer REscue, or a local shelter, anything. I cannot tell you how many favors I forgot at the wedding! Or thought ohh goody! more junk to add to all the other junk i have :)

OHHH and my best idea for my wedding was I put disposable cameras on each table and asked the guests to take candids of the wedding (not necessiraly me and the hubby) but candids are always more special to me.

I did get a camera filled with butts though..I KNOW what table that came from without even seeing it on the table..:LOL: hubbys prankster buddies. Seems that they took the camera in the bathroom and proceeded to snap each other "mooning" the "honeymooners" :LOL:

7. sgbtab

sgbtab Banned

julie, so glad your back from your honeymoon. did you have a great time? I was keeping up with the post about your bridesmaid dresses. what a headache. any way glad to hear from you.:)

8. Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool Boxer Booster

That is a great idea!! I love it. And when you get the cameras developed it's like seeing the wedding from the guests point of view, and you get everyone on camera!! Oh I hope I remember to do that when I get married (won't be for a while, BF and I are still young!!)

9. FrogsMom

FrogsMom Banned

Long...

My sister just got married in October. She had to try to save every penny since our parents were paying for it. The first place they saved was the cake. She had 175 people and most cake places wanted to charge $2.50 to $3.50 per person for cake. That comes to $437.50 to $612.50. Instead she found a small 2 tier cake that was inexpensive, less than $100 and then bought 2 cakes at Costco for $14.99 each. Since most places cut the cake in the back room and bring it out on dishes nobody has to know. Another way, depending on how formal you are planning is to find an Italian or Mexican place that caters and do that buffet style for the dinner. I have found that most people enjoy both of those types of food over the chicken and beef dinners that are typically served and instead of $40/per person it is closer to $10 per person. If you want to know more I will but I think I should end this ramble for now.

10. Luvnmyboxer

Luvnmyboxer Boxer Insane

OMG, that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. I can only imagine the laughs that brought on. But obviously gives you something to look back on and smile throughout the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.