1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Young Male In D.c. Shelter

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by bonnie, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonnie

bonnie Super Boxer

2. vaboxer

vaboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

Aimee?!?! You are the closest one...then maybe Heather (Sube Ru's mom)...

OK...called the shelter...he is still there but does have an application for adoption on him. They would rather he be adopted out before working with a rescue org.

Asked how much time he had...she said he would stay until adopted, they didnt think he would be hard to adopt out.

3. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

We'll keep an eye on him! He's absolutely precious so I'm sure he'll find a home shortly.

4. Sube Ru's mom

Sube Ru's mom Guest

all to familiar with DC shelter, this is a classic case where the shelters would rather get money on a dog and adopt it out instead of giving it to rescue
    PISSES ME OFF!!!!!! :mad:

5. Jewel'sPop

Jewel'sPop Boxer Pal

update??

I live in DC and wouldve adopted him in a heartbeat. Just curious if you guys know what happened to him?

6. Peggy G

Peggy G Boxer Insane

Heather, Why does that PISS YOU OFF? How else would they stay in the business of helping dogs if they didnt charge an adoption fee? VABoxer wrote that he should find a home easily and that they will keep him till they do. Am I missing something?

7. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

I personally think it's great when the shelters try every option to find a home for the boxer, or any breed for that matter, first. Rescues get so overrun with dogs that often it's a relief to not have to go and pick up another. Most shelters will infact call rescues once their time is up if they haven't been adopted. That to me is the true need of rescues. Shelters would love to hold most dogs really until they can find them a home but their time there is limited due to spacing issues. This is when rescues step in and give that dog the extra time it needs to find a family :)

8. Sube Ru's mom

Sube Ru's mom Guest

Aimee- i didnt think about it that way, GOOD POINT appicon

My point which i didnt make very well, obviously, is there have been threads on here about rescues and shelters not working together and that they were putting it on the rescues, and this is a situation where it is not the rescue it is the shelter that wont give up the dog.

Here is one such thread http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31974&highlight=shelter

sorry Peggy when i wrote that my day was almost done at work and i was fried and annoyed here @ work :(

Last edited: Dec 11, 2002
  9. Albie

Albie Completely Boxer Crazy

I have been thinking of this guy since I saw this post. I called the shelter today. He is still available. The gentleman I talked to said that Linus has developed some dog aggression issues. He said he's not sure if it is temporary or permanent:( . I'm not sure what that means. He said that Linus has been there a long time (since Nov. 24) and that living at the shelter is very stressful which could cause some aggression issues. He said that the problem they observed was snapping at other dogs. I don't know what to think, but I want to go see him. Hubby says no way that if he snaps at dogs how can you trust him around the kids. What do you all think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.