1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Young kids + new Boxer puppy = hard work...(m)

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by cama, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cama

cama Boxer Booster

Whew! and I'm tired! Ponza (now 11 weeks tomorrow) is doing GREAT! He has taken to the crate beautifully and in the last 5 nights sleeps ALL night (from about 9-5:30) without so much as a whimper in the crate by our bed. He also has learned the commands sit, stay, and come (well, he knows it, but sometimes won't listen) and we will begin working on down today. Housetraining is taking a bit of time, but he definitely understands when I say "Outside" and he runs to the door and understands his potty commands and knows he has to go before he's allowed to do anything else. But he still will go in the house if I'm not vigilant. Again, I know this takes time - no big deal.

Okay, so that's an update...but here's the thing. The kids + Ponza is enough to drive me insane. The kids constantly want to pick him up. Ponza is playbiting and jumping up (typical puppy stuff which we are working on) and the kids are getting lots of scratches and bites. I'm trying to train the dog not to do those behaviors and the kids (ages 6 and 4) not to encourage those behaviors, and it's hard. My son, who is in Kindergarten, comes home and of course, he wants to play with Ponza - and he gets him very riled up, so that by evening time, I'm just exhausted. At times I'm wondering if I have taken leave of my senses getting a puppy while the kids are so young. Yet, I think to what I believe it will be like once Ponza is housetrained and just grows up a bit and think it will be wonderful.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that things will get easier as time passes. Any stories or comments are appreciated!

Charlene

2. Things will get easier! When we first brought Daisy home at 8 weeks, I was completely overwhelmed! I have a son, 7 and a daughter, 2. I thought the same thing as far as, "What did I get myself into?" But as one week became two weeks and then became three weeks, things started to get a lot easier. Just be consistant in your training. He will eventually get it!;)
    Good luck!

Diane

3. Boxer_21

Boxer_21 Boxer Insane

You'll definitely want to teach your children some dog commands. Have them say "down" (or whatever word you choose) to tell Ponza not to jump. Teach them to say "enough" or something similar when Ponza gets to rough and needs a break. It will take time for your children to understand and likewise it will take time for Ponza to understand. However, if you don't start now you could be in real trouble when Ponza gets bigger.

Another recommendation I can make is to take Ponza to obedience school. Maybe you could (and should) go as a family, children included. This will teach Ponza that he HAS to listen to everyone, even the kids. It will also teach the kids the proper way to behave around Ponza. If going to obedience school isn't an option, perhaps you could hire a private trainer to help you out.

Keep in mind that your puppy is still very young and same for your skin kids. It will be difficult for you at times (as you've already learned), but with some time, patience, love, training, and understanding thins will get better for you!!

Good luck!! :)

4. chevyscorner

chevyscorner Boxer Pal

I totally understand what your going through here as well...I have 2 children ages 6 & 7 as well as babysit a 5yr old Mon-Fri and with 2 Boxers One being 2yrs old and the other being 16wks old I sometimes think Im going to lose my mind as well LOL.....

BUT since we have the 2 yr old boxer the kids have learned a few things along the way so with the new puppy its not as bad...My son though who is in K too LOVES to come home and get them both going..And I am trying to get him to calm down at the same time as trying to get them to calm down so It is one BIG battle...

IT does get easier along the way BUT I agree you have to teach them all 2 legged kids and 4 legged kids at the same time...Hang in there and you will never regret it.....

5. cama

cama Boxer Booster

Thank you all for your comments. I think I was having a really "off" day yesterday and feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. I really have to say that I feel so blessed by how well Ponza is doing - like with the crate, etc., especially after some of the stories I've read on this site! :eek:

Also, I did a TON of reading (even joined this site back in Aug 2002!) and I was always concerned with the kid + dog equation. But it's like anything else, reading it and reality are 2 different things.

chevyscorner and CrazyDaisy's mom - Thank you for the reassurances.

You'll definitely want to teach your children some dog commands. Have them say "down" (or whatever word you choose) to tell Ponza not to jump. Teach them to say "enough" or something similar when Ponza gets to rough and needs a break.

Boxer 21 - I have done just that - I have told them to say "Off" in a firm voice (hard for a child) and for the biting, say "Ouch" or "No biting" and give him an appropriate toy. But still, my son especially gets excited and puts his hand out (palm down) and Ponza tries to jump to get it, etc. I agree - I think it will just take time for them all to understand what is appropriate and what isn't.

Anyway, just wanted to repond and say thanks.

Charlene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.