You want a what!?(long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrow

Boxer Booster
Almost everyone who knows me knows that I do not like little dogs. At all. I have wanted to get a playmate for Riley (but will not be able to for awhile yet) so I have been casually looking around. Well, for some odd reason, I decided to poke around with Boston Terriers. I think I want one! My co-worker has a poof-dog (normal name- pekingese) and she loves him and was talking about how great little dogs are. I love my "big" Riley but it would be kind of nice to have a little dog... maybe. If nothing else I might get over my phobia of smaller dogs. Everyone says that BTs are like mini boxers, and I'm looking up everything I can about them and I think I would really like one. A dog to me is a lifetime commitment which is why I'm thinking about this now, instead of when I'm ready because I tend to be very spontaneous. I've heard that they hold there own with boxers and are good companions for them. I'm a little skeptical, I don't think anything in that small of a package could keep up with spazboy Riley. I know there are some on BW with BTs/Boxer houses. What is the advice on a 1 to 1 household? What should I know and look into further?

[My fear of little dogs came from being bitten twice, and having Riley attacked more than once.]

I'm not a fan of the little ones either but I've always said I'd choose a BT over any other. I met one and he played with my boys last summer for a day when my pups were 6 and 9 months old and I'll tell you what, that little guy tired them out! He ran around all day with a huge Jolly ball the size of himself up over his head in his mouth by the freakin handle! I swear it was like he was a wind up toy! :LOL: Definately silly and can hold their own with a Boxer or two! LOL! I say go for it and have fun! :D

K8IE

Boxer Insane
I think Bostons are awesome dogs. Killian's best buddy was a Boston, they were like two peas in a pod, played the same, acted the same, and both had the same horrible gas even!! :) My sister has a Boston too. They really do have a lot of similar mannerisms and behaviors to Boxers and are very smart!

JaredKyah

Boxer Booster
I know there are other members who have a BT and a Boxer.
My parents picked up there BT in CT (they live in FL), and came directly to my house and stayed for two weeks. I have to tell you, the 8 week, 3.5 pound BT was stealing toys and bones right out of my dog's mouth. The BT, Kilo, thought nothing of jumping on Remy, biting her in order to get Remy to let her have the bone out of her mouth. Remy, who normally doesn't take any crap, allowed the BT to do all of this. (Remy is only 3 months older than the BT) They had great fun playing tug of war, Remy finally learned that she could win by pinning Kilo down with her paw. (No worries, we were right there to stop it).
There is a picture of the two of them in my gallery (I think it was the only time they were peaceful.) Kilo will be visiting again next month and hopefully they will still get on.

New Mom

Super Boxer
I'm a little skeptical, I don't think anything in that small of a package could keep up with spazboy Riley.

HA! My household is now living proof that as far as having a spazboy...you ain't seen nothin' til you see a boston in action with a boxer. I just posted in the "other pets" section about our new addition, Joey. He is possessed.

that little guy tired them out! He ran around all day with a huge Jolly ball the size of himself up over his head in his mouth by the freakin handle! I swear it was like he was a wind up toy!

I have to tell you, the 8 week, 3.5 pound BT was stealing toys and bones right out of my dog's mouth. The BT, Kilo, thought nothing of jumping on Remy, biting her in order to get Remy to let her have the bone out of her mouth. Remy, who normally doesn't take any crap, allowed the BT to do all of this.

Having a 10 1/2 week old Boston and an 18 month old Boxer, I can personally vouch that these statements are true, lol.

Go for it...but brace yourself, lol.

Marilyn

Abbey's Mom

Boxer Booster
Hey Abbey's best friend Sadie is a Boston. I'm not a fan of little dogs either, but Bostons rock. They are plenty sturdy to keep us with a boisterous boxer. If I were going to get a smaller dog, a Boston would definitely be top of my list.

P.S. They also don't seem to notice they're not Boxers.

SILLY6PAK

Boxer Insane
I was TOTALLY COMPLETELY against taking in my husband's ex's 1 yr old Yorkie. YUCK! YUCK! We did it for the kids sake. They were heartbroken to give up the dog.

I have to say I am so totally in love. She keeps up with the big dogs great. The puppy is too much for her but otherwise she has been the best addition to our family. I never thought I would have a little dog but I am totally owned by our 5 pound dog and could not see my life without a little dog.

lirpa23

Boxer Booster
I have never owned a Boston, but I love the breed! I seriously considered getting one a few years ago, and did a little research. I don't like little dogs either, but Bostons are really special. I have to agree that they are very similar to boxers. And they are so cute! I always wanted a brindle boy.

Chiefsmom

Boxer Insane
I'm not particularly a fan of little dogs either; but if I had to have one... I'd agree with the BT as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.