1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You have to go see Susie Q-Dan's dog and her site!!

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Tina-SCBR-NY, Mar 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Sammy's Mom:

Yes, I am grateful every day for this board and all of the members here. I would be a basket case without this place and all of the help and support and love I've received at Boxerworld. It is truly an amazing place filled with lovely, wonderful people. I can't thank all of you enough.

I was so shocked that they took the time to make signs and do pictures for Susie's homecoming. I was truly honored. I've emailed that link and those pics to everyone I know!! I'm sure they are all very sick of hearing about Maggie and Susie by now. :) But hey, that's what proud parents do, right?

I was debating on the color collar and leash I was going to get for Susie Q. I was leaning towards white because it was NOT the obvious choice like red or blue or purple. But when I saw her in green, I thought, "hey, green's a nice color on her." I may have to get her some green attire myself. :)

I tried dressing Maggie up, but she looked so miserable I couldn't do it anymore. I did post one picture of her in a green (pea green, ugh) sweater on the Boxerworld Gallery and she too has that "pained boxer face." :) Poor babies. What we won't do to them to entertain ourselves !!

I got Susie a new blankie to take with us. I am planning on putting it down for Maggie to sniff and get her scent on before we go. There's been so much to do to prepare for the new arrival. I hope I get it all done before Sunday. I got a new raised table for Susie this morning so she'll have her own table to eat and drink from as does Maggie. I have to cut the table cloth today, put up the crate again, re-arrange the kitchen to accommodate the crate and new dining table. And on and on and on... I'm having the TIME OF MY LIFE!! :)

Well, I'm not sure how much a cab would be the three blocks it is from my house to the park. But, I'm sure we'll be taking a few car rides now and then. I can always rent a car, and many friends have cars here in the neighborhood. But I'm sure she won't mind walking to the park. It is lovely here and I can picture them in my mind now, walking nicely together, proudly prancing with their heads up and looking all around, as boxers do. I will be the proudest man in Brookly next week, I can assure you of that.

Thanks for your well wishes and stories. This has been such a terrific experience and I can't wait to share with all of you the "Exploits of Maggie and Susie from Brooklyn." Hey, maybe a television series.... I'd watch a new "Lassie" with a boxer twist, wouldn't you??? :)

Best regards.

2. Riggers

Riggers Boxer Buddy

3. ChrisM

ChrisM Guest

Ia agree with everyone else....Suzie Q is adorable and that hat picture is TOO hysterical! That Boxer "oh COME ON!" look that we all get when we do something silly to our dogs. Rebel had it when I dressed him in a bow tie and top hat!

4. Yenisey

Yenisey Boxer Pal

Dan,

I'm not quite in the same position as you yet. We've just completed the phone interview part and waiting for the home visit.
    Then we'll have to get matched with the right dog, but before that, we'll come that exciting time of getting all the stuff for the baby. Since it will be our first Boxer, we are not sure what kind of equipment to get.
    We've gotten the vari-kennel and the bowls, but regarding everything else, we're pretty much clueless. What kind of leash, collar, toys, etc. are better, in your opinion? Since you're getting all this stuff now, I thought I'd ask you and everybody else, who can give us their 2 cents :) There are so many kinds of every item in Pet'sMart that we just get lost...

Thanks!
    Olga

5. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Thanks Olga!

I don't really know what to tell you. I think once you know you are getting a dog, you can go to a pet store, get food bowls, water bowls (stainless steel is preferable I think), a 6ft. lead and collar. I used a nylon collar on Maggie when she was so young. They grow so fast, it was hard to keep her in collars there for a while. And of course, I just kept buying them untill I found one we both liked. :)

If you are going to do any off leash training, a very long, 50 ft. cord to attach to the dog is useful to have while training for off leash play. I'm probably the worst person in the world to ask about collars. I can't make up my mind and keep buying all kinds and colors. Maybe I'll have a sale one day and get rid of some of them :)

Toys. Lots of toys in all varieties and all shapes and textures. Lots of things to use to distract the puppy when he is into stuff he shouldn't be. :)

I'd avoid "clothing" for a while since they grow so quickly. It is really a waste of money. Of course, if you live in a cold climate, a coat or sweater might be needed.

Treats. Treats. Treats. I recommend "healthy" treats. Read labels, check ingredients. Do your homework as you would when going to the store for yourselves. I'm sure you read the labels and watch your fat and calorie intake as most of us try to do. Do the same for your dog. Food you can get when you know what food the dog you are adopting is then eating.

A blankie or two. I went to the "off price" or "seconds" stores and got large baby blankets. They were about $4 each, so not so much invested to throw them away if they get all yucky!

A crate if you plan on crate training. Get one with a divider so that it can grow as your pup grows and you won't have to continue to buy larger and larger cages. They are rather expensive I think.

Training books!!! I've recommended "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson so many times I can actually hear the members groan through my computer :D But it has been a life saver for me. Maggie is so well trained now and I could not have achieved that without that book.

There are many other good books out there, which have been recommended by many of our members here. Might do a search and find some of those threads discussion good books, or post another question asking for recommendations. I'm sure you'll find plenty. Reading up and learning while you are waiting for your right rescue dog is a really good thing to do. You'll be much more confident and able to handle all that is bound to come up with any dog, puppy or older. You'll be glad you did some reading beforehand, believe me.

You might also in this interim period want to find out about all the obedience and training classes available in your area. Go to some of them, check them out and find one which you are comfortable with. I am trying now to get Susie enrolled in a class (and I think Maggie will attend as well, just for fun). It too is some work, so you can get started on that while you're waiting.

Good luck. I wish you the same joy that I am feeling now in anticipation of bringing home Susie. It is an incredible feeling and I am so lucky.

Regards.

6. Roxy'sMama

Roxy'sMama Boxer Booster

Dan, have a safe trip! Can't wait to hear about it. I'll be thinking of you, Maggie and Susie til we get the first post! Have fun and give your babies kisses from Roxy!
    CindyH

7. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

What an adorable girl!!!!
    The picture of Susie Q looking out the window is priceless, worthy of framing!!

Best wishes on your big adventure tomorrow!!!!!!! :D

8. Frame that pic w/ Susie at the window

The pictures were so beautiful and it shows you how much they cared for her as well at "Second Chance Boxer Rescue". To take the time and take wonderful pictures of Susie. The photo by the window made me cry (a happy cry though). Good Luck Dan and we can't wait to see pictures :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.