1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yogurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by RachelE, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RachelE

RachelE Boxer Pal

Hello,

I have been continuing the diet that the breeder had in place for my boxer baby since he was 8 weeks old-- Eukanuba puppy food and low fat yogurt. Is feeding him yogurt ok? I have been reading about increased amounts of calcium and bone growth and joint problems.

Thanks,
    Rachel

2. Topmoon

Topmoon Boxer Buddy

I am not feeding my Elsa yogurt at this time but have been reading that a lot of people do feed it and am considering it. While I don't have an answer for you, I want to join you in finding out more about it. I am hoping the Boxer community will come to our rescue. :)

3. Penda

Penda Boxer Pal

I was mixing in yogurt in Pendas food too. The breeder told me to give it to her 3 times a day, but now that shes growing fast and ive had her for a while, so ive gotten to know her, ive cut down the yogurt to once a day. She seems to like the food plain just as much, and she loves the change when she gets yogurt!

4. Rlr.Giraffe

Rlr.Giraffe Banned

A lot of people on this site feed yogurt (like a tablespoon twice a day, or variations of that) for a different problem - gas!!! As long as they don't show any sign of milk allergy, it is probably good for them.

However, my two cents worth on the Eukanuba... I am not sure that it is a quality food... lots of filler etc. The food discussion has been had on this site a number of times, and a search will provide you with info on lots of really good quality dog foods. :)

5. BoboTheBoxer

BoboTheBoxer Boxer Buddy

Yogurt is a great choice

Yogurt is a wonderful addition to the diet as the acidolphilus (good bacteria) in it is good for the stomach and digestion. If you are planning on adding yogurt to your dogs dish, it would be most beneficial buying a plain, good brand yogurt. Try to stay away from the commmercial brands as they offer little acidoplilus and are suited more to be like a dessert than an actual healthy food. (Commercial brands meaning Dannon, Columbo, Yoplait, etc). Horizon, Stonyfield, and Brown Cow are the better yogurts to buy.

6. RachelE

RachelE Boxer Pal

thanks for all the advice! I lovee this website! :)

Take care,
    Rachel

7. Super Boo

Super Boo Completely Boxer Crazy

Both our dogs had awful gas until we started feeding plain nonfat yogurt once a day. They love it and the gas problem has improved greatly.

8. Gypszy60

Gypszy60 Boxer Buddy

yogurt

I give my SugarRay yogurt mixed in with his Iams and he loves it. I just put in one heaping tablespoon mix it up well every other day. I use the plain and it has helped him a lot with gas. I was giving it every day when he fist came to me severly underweight but now that he is up to his normal weight he just gets it every other day. I also vary his diet and sometimes mix junior baby food lamb or chicken in with his dry food for variety. My vet doesnt have a problem with it and I feel if it is good for babies it couldnt hurt him. He is doing very well and especially loves the baby food.

Camille

9. Gazelleda

Gazelleda Boxer Buddy

Thanks for the tip on yogurt as a gas remedy! I did not know that! My little girl has some duzzies for such a small pup I think I will try it for her.

10. 4WhiteSocks

4WhiteSocks Boxer Buddy

Speaking of quality yogurts, my vet also recommended Stonyfield Plain Low-Fat yogurt over other brands. She said that it is organic, and a much better choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.