Yogurt? Lactose intolerant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbykitty

Super Boxer
Hello. Well I decided to try plain yogurt in Oscars diet to help with his gas. Not that he as a lot of gas but my philosophy the less the better. Well we started on Saturday with 2 tablespoons/daily but when he woke up this morning it was pretty bad. Not bad smelling but nonstop, it was like he was carrying around a whoopy cushion, and I am not exagerating when I say that it is the worse that it has ever been. He did not appear uncomfortable or to have diarhea and this is the only new food for weeks so I can't think of another culprit. I am wondering if it takes awhile for it to work or is he maybe lactose intolerant.
Elbykitty
Mom of Lilly and Oscar

KonaKoffe

Boxer Pal
It does take awhile to work. Suggest only 1 tablespoon per day. Could be a lactose problem. If it is, you can also get lactose free probiotics to prevent the gas in pill form, rather than the yogurt, at the health food store. I would keep up with the reduced amount of yogurt tho for a week or so and see if things get better.

Here's a quoto from the stoneyfield yogurt website.

"Can I enjoy Stonyfield Farm yogurt if I am lactose intolerant?
The answer varies with each case, but generally, Yes! Lactose intolerance is a very common condition that occurs when lactose (milk sugar), is not digested properly because of an enzyme deficiency. Yogurt, with its complement of lactic acid bacteria in a live, active culture, aids in lactose digestion and is well tolerated even by most lactose intolerant individuals. In fact, some studies have demonstrated that certain yogurt cultures have helped some lactose intolerant individuals permanently overcome their condition. "

Last edited:

elbykitty

Super Boxer
Thanks. I will definitely reduce the yogurt and see if that helps and give it more time. I started putting it in his kong with 1/2 banana or apple chunks, kibble (Canidae), 2 tablespoons yogurt and a tablespoon of peanut butter to hold everything in and then I freeze it. The only new thing to the mix is yogurt. I will give it more time especially since my Oscar does tend to have a pretty sensitive tummy and takes some time to get used to new foods. Thanks for the advise.
Elbykitty
Mom of Lilly and Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.