YOgurt = diarrhea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennox

Boxer Booster
Ok due to the excellent advice I administered "OLD HOME" nonfat plain yogurt. 1 spoonful to my 9 week old Lennox. She had diarrhea in the worst way. Nothing else was added or changed so I know it was the yogurt. My question is: is this mormal, am I administering too much yogurt? is it the wrong brand? or do I just hae to take the boxer bombs? any and all replys will be appreciated thanks!
The yogurt did work to alleviate the bombs, but the diarrhea was pretty bad!

------------------
Lennox, Fawn Female born May 27, 2000

bxr_lvr

Boxer Booster
I started giving Emma one teaspoon in the morning and one teaspoon in the evening with her food when she was about 12 wks. Her stools never changed. But the "silent but deadlies" almost completely went away. I use Dannon plain yogurt. It could be that Emma didn't have a problem because she was a little older (but some on the board have started their babies at six or seven weeks with no problem). It could be that Lennox just has a more delicate stomach than others.
frown.gif
Hope it clears up. Are you still giving the yogurt? Did it stop when you stopped giving the yogurt?

------------------
Lori
Emma - black-masked brindle girl, 04-03-00

tedjax

Completely Boxer Crazy
I started giving Beauty one whole teaspoon last week with her food twice a day. I noticed she had mild diarrhea the next day. Now I'm only adding 1/2 teaspoon twice a day and she's fine. She loves it! Indy wouldn't touch it...surprise, surprise!

------------------
Trish
Indy-Neutered, Natural, Fawn, Flashy-10/6/98
Beauty-Spayed,Cropped, Fawn, Black Mask-9/20/94; Adopted from rescue in New Orleans
Shiloh-10/18/85 to 10/14/98; Waiting for me at the Bridge

Lennox

Boxer Booster
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bxr_lvr:
Are you still giving the yogurt? Did it stop when you stopped giving the yogurt?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I stopped giving yogurt, mabe pick up a different brand in a month or so. Also, did you mix it in with the food? or did you just let Emma lick it off the spoon? Thanks for the help by the way!
smile.gif

------------------

Linda

Boxer Insane
I just started giving my two yogurt. I'm mixing one heaping spoonful in their food once a day. I just bought the store brand plain, nonfat yogurt.

I haven't noticed any change in their stool.

I would guess maybe one spoonful is too much for such a little puppy. Maybe try a little less and mix it with the food.

Good luck.
smile.gif

JoAnn

Super Boxer
I just posted something on the vet questions about yogurt. My Samson 1 year had been on the yogurt for about 3 months, then he started vomiting after he ate it. I took it away for a few days and he was fine, when I started him up on it he was back to vomiting. I guess I will have to put up with the smellies.

Tanyia

Boxer Buddy
Lennox-
Sometimes the pup's stool will change a little bit when adding yogurt to their diet. We mix ours in with their food. You were right to stop giving it to her for now. You might try again in a month or so, just a little bit and build up to where she's okay with it. Good Luck!

Lennox

Boxer Booster
Thanks for the advice everyone! That is my plan, one month of gas and then try again different brand and smaller amount mixed in. thanks again!
smile.gif

------------------

bxr_lvr

Boxer Booster
With Emma I sometimes mix it with her dry food or just plop it down on top. And yes, she does get to lick the spoon. She loves it. Now if I forget she looks at me like "Mommy, didn't you forget something? Huh? Huh? Huh?" So cute! You might also think about what else she eats. Do you mix canned food with dry food or just feed dry food? If you are already mixing a "wet" food in, then the addition of another soft, "wet" food might be too much for her.

------------------
Lori
Emma - black-masked brindle girl, 04-03-00

Status
Not open for further replies.