Yet Another Crate Question...So confused (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m73winslow

Boxer Pal
I've read so many success stories here about successful crate training. My question is, how many people are using dividers? How big is their crate? Is it big and if so, do they have the entire crate to roam around? The reason why I'm asking is because I put a divider in Rylee's crate, she's 11 weeks old...she barely has room to turn around, she still poops and pees in her crate, regardless if I just taken her out, 20 minutes later, she's gone in her crate. I haven't slept in 3 weeks (she's in her crate every day & night).

I moved her in the garage last night, with the crate door open, I took the divider out and put her bed and toys in there...and now she has the garage to roam. I'm thinking that maybe she'll get use to her crate on her own, then I can move it back in the house...but should I put the divider up again or give her the entire crate to move around.

Please, Please, PLEASE HELP

JennieWI

Boxer Booster
m73winslow said:
(she's in her crate every day & night).

I'm wondering how much time she gets out of her crate, playing, and being with you? Maybe she kept going in her crate because she got to see you and spend time with you for each time you had to clean it? 11 weeks is very young and I understand a puppy shouldn't be crated more than four hours at a time.

Gunther had a divider in his crate up until about a month ago. He has a large crate big enough for two of him to lay down in. He is 8 months old and only occassionally (usually on a Monday as he gets back adjusted to the week day schedule) he will pee in his crate. I have a sitter that stops by daily to let him out and play with him.

m73winslow

Boxer Pal
I got home every day to let her out, so she's not in her crate more than 3 1/2-4 hours at a time. We play for about 30 minutes then I put her back in. Once we are home from work, she's out for a little bit, then we put her back in her crate while we are eating dinner, then she's out...so we've tried to "work" her up to the 4 hour time, but it's just not working.

Today I went home for lunch...even though she's in the garage, I want to keep her on her schedule. When I got home, she was laying in her crate...we went outside and she pooped and peed. Once it was time for me to come back to work, she went right into her crate and laid down....the door is open, so she can come out whenever she wants. I'm thinking that maybe this is a good thing for her for the next couple of weeks...she can get acclimated to her crate and maybe this will make her understand that her crate isn't a bad thing. I just want to if anyone thinks it's going to backfire and in a couple of weeks I'll be starting all over again. She listens very well, doesn't have accidents in the house...I have two children...a puppy doesn't compare to infancy. This is harder.

Lael

Super Boxer
m73winslow said:
I have two children...a puppy doesn't compare to infancy. This is harder.
:LOL: That made me smile here at work.

If the garage is a safe area for your puppy (no electrical chords to chew, or other hazards such as antifreeze, chemicals, etc.) and she will go into her crate on her own when her bed is in it, I think it sounds like a good plan. You're right, she has to see that the crate isn't so bad. And yes, it's best, in my opinion, to crate as little as possible. If I am home, Lael was not in her crate (unless I was vacuuming...). ;)

One thing I would suggest to do, if you're not already doing so, is to play with her in the crate, and make a big fun fuss about her being in there. I'd also leave little treats or her favorite toy in there to keep her going in and looking for new treasures. Whenever I bought her a new toy, I would put it in the crate... so that only good things came from the crate. And keeping the big, comfy bed sure helps too.

Good luck! And be encouraged... almost everyone (there are a few fortunate exceptions) who crate trains goes through some difficulties. But it is SOOO worth it!

Cat & Lael

m73winslow

Boxer Pal
Thank you. I was feeling like I gave up by putting her in the garage, but she seemed so much happier today. When I went home, her little tail, that I like to call her nubbin', was just wagging. I'll continue with the crate training...I just didn't want to feel like a failure. My husband and I made sure there was NOTHING that she could possibly get into while we are gone. :)

That was my little quote of the day. I'm glad that I made someone laugh. heehee.

Lady's dady

Boxer Pal
crate or not

my question is why you keep her in the crate even while you are home it seems to me that you may be using the crate alittle too much, I would only use it while you are out then leave it open and accessable for her to go to while you are home but only if she wants too not because she has too!

Grimmja

Boxer Booster
and then on the other side of the fence, i think it is ok to have her crated while you're home, as long as it's not all the time...i believe it teaches her that she doesn't always need to be free and when she's in there, it's really ok. i've also read a book about potty training your dog. during the regime, the dog is pretty much crated most of the day but given ample time for exercise, play and interaction (that's built into the schedule). it's worked for lots of people i know, so i think what you're doing will definitley help acclimate to the crate as well as help potty train.

--and i agree, raising a puppy is MUCH harder than a human baby!! i have a 1 1/2 year old and have yet to have my patience tried with him as i have with my puppy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.