Yellow jacket problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

furrykidmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
I have a yellow jacket nest in my kitchen window. It is up in a corner where the window was never properly trimmed by the previous owner. I never really noticed until we had the problem.

The easiest solution to my problem is to wait until fall for the yellow jackets to go away or dormant whatever it is and seal the hole. The problem is that my poor DH was doing me a favor the other day by nailing my stained glass back into the corner of the window. Unfortunately, he went too deep in the wrong direction and cracked the glass. Now the window has to come out to be repaired. I have tried two sprays from Lowe's that promise to kill. One kills on contact and the other is a blanketing foam. I have been using both for two days and they are still going strong. When I see them flying around the window I open the door and spray them (about 6-10 feet away). But now I swear they know that I am coming. The moment I open the door they all disappear. A few minutes after I am gone they are all at the window again. I am at my wits end. I do not want to call an exterminator because I have read multiple stories of people who did and the problem persisted until fall. I am going to try to set up traps outside the window to cut down on the numbers but I have read that it can be in the thousands. I would like to wait until fall but I am afraid that rain will leak into the window or that cold weather will spread the cracks. I am half tempted to seal the cracks with silicone like what you use on fish tanks. It will look horrible but will be efficient until fall.

Any ideas??

wilsonbjane

Boxer Buddy
You need to get rid of the nest (hive). We had the same problem this summer but they were inside a fence (our fence and our neighbors are back to back). We waited until dark because they are not active then and sprayed the nest and waited a bit to see any movement then we were able to remove a huge nest (hive). My young daughter is allergic to stings so we are always looking out for these sorts of things. I am sure there are other ways of getting rid of them but this is how we were able to do it. Good luck to you.

Roscoesmommy

Completely Boxer Crazy
There is a new Raid Yellow Jacket trap thing that I have seen on TV. I dont know if it would help, but I guess it might be worth a try?? :D

K_J's Dad

Boxer Insane
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but your problem could be worse than you think. If you have that many bees around, their nest could be up in the attic or they could be between the walls. From stud to stud, outside plywood and inside sheet rock. That's usually a space of 16"x4"x8'/10' though it also has insulation.
If you can see the nest, wait until it's completely dark and soak it with the spray. Let it sit for an hour or so, then knock the nest down with a long broom handle.
To trap them, you can also use an empty soda can with a bit of sugar water.

furrykidmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but your problem could be worse than you think. If you have that many bees around, their nest could be up in the attic or they could be between the walls.

That is what I am afraid of. I cannot see the nest so I know it is in the window frame and most likely up the wall. Hopefully, we can wait until late fall to take this window out for repair.

RoxiesEcho

Boxer Insane
I hate to make matters worse but if they are indeed in your wall, don't be surprised when they eat right through it and are in your house! If what you are calling yellow jackets are the same thing we had a few years back they somehow got into an exterior wall and ate through a plaster ceiling! We woke up to find them falling into our back hallway. We sprayed them as best we could but still had to call an exterminator.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.