1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrestling with kids...Is it okay?

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by Sidda1018, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrikersMom

StrikersMom Boxer Pal

No wrestling here

My skin kids aged 6 1/2, 4 and 1 are under no circumstances to wrestle with Striker. Striker is 4 months old and already out weighs my 2 youngest skin kids. Whenever my skin kids sat on the floor Striker wanted to jump on them, so we curbed that, he now will lay next to them and snuggle. As for my husband though, he does wrestle with Striker when the kids are in bed at night. Striker associates that time of day as Striker time and he eats up the undivded attention we give him at night. My skin kids also don't play tug of war with Striker, we don't want Striker to think anything in their hands or their clothes are fair game to pull on. We have rules in our house, for Striker and our skin kids. They respect each others space, and most of the time they remember their manners. There is diffently a pecking order in this house and everone knows where they are in that order. My skin kids also feed him, give him treats and give commands. We also NEVER leave Striker and our skin kids unattended. I was bitten by 2 dogs when I was a child, a black lab and a rottweiler. The owners of the black lab left me and the dog UNATTENDED in the yard and then fed him, I tried to hand feed him and he bit me 3 times, I was 3 years old. The Rott bit me when the owners kids were being not so nice to him, they were on a sled and were having the dog pull them, my leg was closer than they were so he bit me. My husband says I'm too up tight, I say I'm just being as safe as possible. This is was works for us..........

2. vloke

vloke Boxer Pal

Boxers & kids

I have an 8 yr. old daughter and 5 & 3 yr old sons and we have Nelly, our 15 mo. old Boxer that we adopted @ 10 weeks. My 8 and 5 yr olds aren't into roughhousing and Nelly seems to understand that for the most part and doesn't get rowdy with them. On the other hand, my 3 yr old is fearless (he got a small matress, a "kindermat", and used it to slide down the stairs from the upper floor of our house and a hundred and one other crazy stunts) and they love to play together. I do always supervise them together and Nelly is very good about stopping wrestling with Nathan if you tell her to stop.

Personally, I am more scared of what our cat may do to my son than Nelly. Nathan likes to carry the cat everywhere and tries to get in on the fun when her (Marissa-the cat) and Nelly are playing and has gotten scratched a few times. Nelly has never hurt him tho, in any way, shape or form.

3. Ladybug7583

Ladybug7583 Boxer Pal

I have 2 skin babies and 2 fur babies and they all play together there is no keepin' them apart... my youngest fur baby killer even plays with the cat....I see no problem with it my self but i was raised arround boxers and pits

4. Melgoglia

Melgoglia Super Boxer

Brandy (now waiting at the bridge) knew how to play with everyone. It was so weird, my hubby would play and they would have a knock-down drag out good old fashion wrestling match. However with me she was much gentler and with my kids or anyone else’s she was very gentle. It’s like she knew the difference. I would always supervise anytime children loved on her or played with her.

Abigail she only gets rough with her daddy & my daughter who is now 15. I would say my daughter encourages it. But again when I'm playing with her or a smaller child she seems to know getting rough is not acceptable. I guess why boxers are such a perfect family dog, they are so smart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.