1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrestling with kids...Is it okay?

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by Sidda1018, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidda1018

Sidda1018 Super Boxer

My little brother, Tikki, is 10 and he has always loved to get in the floor and wrestle with Sidda. They roll around and he will grab her and hold onto her and they fall around and box at each other. They have a great time together and neither is rough. Now we have added Henry in the mix and Tikki wrestles with them both together. This often starts the 2 boxers wrestling alone with all the noise and racket that boxers make when they are playing. And although I know this is typical for them, I do think sometimes it is out of jealousy when they begin playfighting with each other. Tikki is down in the floor in the middle of this trying to get back into the action and usually is successful. He will get them in a headlock and push them with his head, all completely in play. Then the boxers will become more interested in each other and the cycle continues.
    Do any of you let your children wrestle like this with your boxers? I have never had any problems, but I don't want to let him do something that isn't safe. Neither dog has ever snapped, bitten, or anything close at him. And I have explained to him when they get tired or walk away like they are done, to get up and quit. I just wanted some input on what other think about it. Thanks.

2. Sidda1018

Sidda1018 Super Boxer

I am always right with them when they are rough housing. They have such a good time and enjoy playing with each other. I guess I just wanted to make sure it was okay to let them play this way, that it won't become a dominance problem or anything.

3. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

I used to play like this with one of my dogs, until I realized that he thought that anybody who got down on their hands and knees wanted to wrestle. Together with the play growling, I decided that should he ever fall into somebody else's care, they'd probably find that behavior pretty frightening, as would a friend of the family's child who might happen to find himself/herself set on "in play." He stopped when I said "enough" but a frightened child wouldn't know to say enough (or possibly convey the authority). So I stopped.

It may be paranoid, but I try to look at my dogs occasionally to see if they have any behaviors that could work against them should they ever end up with strangers.

4. BoxerS.C.

BoxerS.C. Banned

I also wondered about this as my 5yr old girl likes to plays this way with my 12wk. old boxer.
    He never really bites her but he does bite at her long hair.
    I tell her that when he gets bigger he could hurt her playing like this and I try to discourage it.

Is it o.k. or should I continue to stop it?

5. Grimmja

Grimmja Boxer Booster

i'm not going to say do it or not, but if you do it i think it is very important the dogs know when to stop, the second the kid gets up, or says no, or whatever...and as long as the kids know the dogs tender spots. my 2 year old plays with our dog sometimes on teh floor, but he knows to avoid the groing area and stay out of his mouth...for 2 i think that's pretty good, and for a 1 year old dog to put up with a 2 year old, man...special dogs. i say make sure each is respecting the other completely and go with what you think.

i just have to add that yesterday a little 3 year old was over playing with our son, and she took riley's bone right out of his mouth (which we stopped immediately!), but he just sat there with his tail wagging:)

6. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

I would stop it -- he's treating her like a littermate, and in a few months will be MUCH more powerful and MUCH more motivated to move above her in rank. He doesn't think she's a puppy, but he thinks she's a Pretty Unimportant Person in the house, because he already knows he's faster, and when he gets bigger he'll know that too. That doesn't mean that he'll DO anything to her, other than disrespect her, but she'll already be at a size disadvantage for several years and a strength disadvantage the rest of their lives together. Best to exert authority from the beginning so that it's second nature for him to yield to her even when he is at his brattiest.

Instead, promote her as one of the people above him in rank. At 5 years old, she's old enough to put down his food dish (even measure out the food, if you have the patience to monitor!) and soon to tell him to sit before she places it on the floor. As you work on obedience, she can give commands and cookies when they're complied with. And all along she can sit and calmly cuddle and stroke the dog (no hugging!)

7. jbbtlr

jbbtlr Super Boxer

Why no hugging? My kids constantly hug on Koda and he loves it.

8. xenaprincess

xenaprincess Boxer Insane

In my own experience with 4yr old, 13yr old, 17yr old skinkids, and 8yr old and 14month old furkids, I have NEVER figured out away to keep them all apart!! My kids are animal lovers through and through...and therefore they roughhouse with Xena & Spirit as much as they roughhouse together! It's a family thing I guess! My daughter (4) has been feeding the dogs since she was 3, she is often involved in their training. They listen to her when she gives the basic commands and Xena ALWAYS plays dead for her! :D The furkids have NEVER overpowered any of them and they know their limits! The kids have been told the "rules" and it mostly boils down to "manners" and the furkids know their manners as well! Well...Spirit is still learning...still very much a rambunctious puppy! He needs to be supervised while playing with my daughter as sometimes he tries to box her too hard or pushes her. One thing that I have done with my furkids is have them understand the commands "let's play" and "NO play", and it works out great! Even though Spirit is very hyper at times, he now knows "NO play"! :D I guess what I am trying to say is that you MUST train both your skin and fur kids in proper play etiquette, and if there is need for worry...then supervise the play!
    As for not allowing my kids to hug them...HA! Nothing would stop them, and in fact, the doggies hug'em right back!

9. carole

carole Boxer Insane

Star likes a good wrestle from time to time. We use the "enough" command. She then sits and licks your hand and waits for your next command.

10. buffym

buffym Super Boxer

I have a 7 yr old Son and a 5 yr old Daughter also have two furkids, Daisy 1-1/2 and Diesel 2-1/2. They all play together very well. I would not even think of telling them that they cant play with them or hug them for that matter. My Daugther is constantly hugging them, but she knows when they have had enough to let go. Sometimes she hugs them to tight. In my opinion I see nothing wrong with them wrestling and having a good time!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.