1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrestle playtime

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by ChrisW, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisW

ChrisW Boxer Pal

My 1 yr old fawn female, Roxy, is EXCELLENT with our three kids. My son Will likes to wrestle with Roxy. What do you guys think about this? I know trainers say not to play tug-o-war and competative stuff that can teach aggression. I've havn't seen ANY signs of unwanted aggression from her other than normal excitement when playing. Just curious about this if anyone thinks its a bad idea to let them play wrestle like this...

2. Kilby'sMum

Kilby'sMum Super Boxer

Our girls play pretty rough with us and with our nephews when they visit. The kids are NUTS and love to wrestle with them and get them all fired up (as does my husband I might add ;) ). I don't have an issue with it at all and our girls are totally non-aggressive toward kids, the adore them :) As long as you/kids are in control and having fun, I don't see the harm. I always supervise when they play with kids and we have a command ('enough') which the girls know means playtime is over right now... not in 4 seconds, not after 1 more ear nibble, NOW!

They also know that some kids don't like to play. Often when kids come over I put them outside because they are just over excited. If they calm down and I let them back in they will look at me for either command "ok to play" or "easy". I'll ask the kid/parent if they wanna play with the dogs or not and go from there. If the girls get the okay they approach the kids and generally take their cues from them as to how rough to play. But, if they get the "easy" command they know what that means too and immediately proceed to put on saddest faces ever and blink droopy eyes in hopes I'll change my mind ;).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  3. srennie

srennie Super Boxer

How old are your kids? As long as Roxy responds to them with they are done then I don't see a problem with it. If she continues to harass them when they stop playing then she is not being respectful and that could be a problem. When my boys were little I'd make sure they 'won' the final game of whatever and stopped the 'game' with them having the toy. They could choose to give it back after play ended, but I made sure they had it when play was stopped.

4. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Ditto on the "enough!" command or whatever you want to use to end the game. It has to mean "Stop whatever you are doing right this second!". We taught it by playing tug for a while, then giving the command, and immediately treating him with lots of treats/praise/love. Repeat about a million times.....and you have a good command. :)

As long as your dog has bite inhibition and you feel OK with the wrestling, there shouldn't be a problem. :)

We play tug all the time with Johann and he has no aggression issues. Our trainer is a big advocate of playiing tug (but, the dog has to have a good stop command and teeth are never allowed to touch skin) as a reward during training sessions. The key is making sure that you start and end each game on your terms. :)

5. ChrisW

ChrisW Boxer Pal

good points, thanks! I definately need to teach an "enough" command. Also, I need to teach her to respond better to my son Will (he is 6 yrs old, my oldest).

6. srennie

srennie Super Boxer

Yes, definitley work on an 'enough' command and she should respect that command from all humans...little and big. I used 'break' for...take a break/break it up...for when play got out of hand between the dogs and 'enough' for when the human was done playing. If she isn't responding to that command from the kids, then she is seeing your kids as 'siblings' and you don't want that. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.