Worst walk ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
Not too sure whether this should go here or in behaviour so feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

I have just had the walk from hell, the worst ever, ever, ever.

Three letters....ZEB!

Started off walking across the field down our road, loads of kids out playing footie, screaming shouting etc. He went balistic and was all over the place totally over stimulated , clicking and treating didn't work. I reigned him in and held the lead up so the halti was controlling him but he was swinging around etc.

Then we bumped into my friend, he sat down nicely then pounced on her and head butted her in her face.
I contemplated taking him straight home but thought no I'll tire him out. There was a bloke with a dog behind us and Zeb was a nightmare refusing to walk, trying to go to the dog. I didn't let him as I wasn't going to reward his behaviour so we stopped and I pulled him to the side. By now I'm almost in tears but does the bloke put his dog on a lead? NO. It comes over to Zeb and the bloke makes a comment about him looking hard work and I'm thinking get your bloody dog away then. I got Zeb to sit and I crouched down with him rewarding him for doing as he was told.
We then meet another 3 dogs, owners all talking at the end of the pathway, I cut across the grass away from them and am having to pull the halti so tight I think I've hurt his muzzle.

I could cry my eyes out right now, I feel so dreadful I can't even look at him or have him near me.
What should I have done?

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
The best thing you can do, is try again and be very calm, assertive and have the entire walk mapped out in your head. Go in with the "I am in total control and Zeb is NOT" mentality. Keep saying your Walking Mantra.....whatever it is. Mine is "This will be a wonderful walk and the dogs will listen and make it easy." I keep saying it over and over, even out loud. Keeps me calm and so that energy passes through the leash. It helps....not making every walk great, but helps.

I also have used the phrase "call your dog, mine is aggressive" when passing other dogs that aren't leashed. Even though mine are just more excited to see other dogs, sometimes I just don't have the energy to fight the leash. LOL

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
If it's any consolation, there is an actual study that states that even though the adreniline and cortisol are gone from an excited/aroused/stressed body, the effects of a stressful event last for hours, even days in some cases and during that time, the subject is more easily stressed/aroused/excited than if the original event hadn't happened. It is no wonder that Zeb had a tough time on the rest of his walk after the first arousal. Take some comfort in knowing that had he encountered each of these events on its own and not one after the other, he may have reacted very differently.
Sometimes, if I have a particularly tough walk with one of mine, I just head home to reset and try again later.

baxtercruz

Boxer Booster
Oh boy... I have had those walks! And to echo the other two responses- yes, once he's riled up by something, he stays that way for the rest of the walk and I totally have to talk myself through it, because it can be so frustrating! Calm and assertive, even when I want to cry.

I'm with you on the other dog owners too- I have my dog on leash FOR A REASON- because I want him to stay with me and away from your dog! When we go for a run with minimal interference from other dogs- he is SO good, keeps stride with me, doesn't pull, and we're both so happy. When other dogs come up (while we continue to run) and get in his face or follow us trying to smell his butt, he gets all riled up and harder to control- and his energy stays agitated. I don't care if other dogs are off leash, but when their owners are inconsiderate, and don't control their dogs- I just think that's so rude.

It's hard when you're so irritated by their behavior- but staying calm is the best way to get him back to that place, and more practice- because I can tell that things that really would have set him off before, sometimes don't bother him as much because I consistently make him keep going past the distraction- as if to say " we're not here to see that, you're here to walk with me".

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
Thanks for your comments, I think if it happens again I'll just turn around and come home. He walked lovely last night, gave him his kong bone to carry to keep him focused appicon

BrettP

Boxer Pal
Well I hopped on here to brush up on how to control my 13 wk old pup because I have just had a walk with my pup that left me seriously doubting my self control.

It started in the morning, she decided to take a crap on her sleeping blanket, then to pee in the middle of the garage floor. So I put her outside while I cleaned up and she proceeded to start digging big holes in the driveway gravel so eventually I had enough and put her in her crate so that I could finish the job.
Once it was all done I thought that i would take her for a walk to try and get her to burn off some energy. However, Gabby decided it was time to attack my hads and feet...biting HARD. When she wasn't biting hard she was pulling at her leash constantly, or running around me so that her leash kept getting us tangled. I had to hold it so tight that I am sure she must have been choking, and it was only just enough to control her.
Thus, I had enough, loaded her into the car and brough her directly home and into her crate. I am not interested in even talking to her for the rest of the day...good thing the wife came home and has taken her out for another walk...maybe it will go better this time.

All I know is that Gabby is proofing to be very hard work sometimes!

That said, she is 13 wks old and will sit, lie down, shake paws, stand on her hind paws all on command. I can also leave a treat in front of her and if I tell her to wait, she wont eat it till I say OK. So I suppose, take the good days with the bad.

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
Well I hopped on here to brush up on how to control my 13 wk old pup because I have just had a walk with my pup that left me seriously doubting my self control.

It started in the morning, she decided to take a crap on her sleeping blanket, then to pee in the middle of the garage floor. So I put her outside while I cleaned up and she proceeded to start digging big holes in the driveway gravel so eventually I had enough and put her in her crate so that I could finish the job.
Once it was all done I thought that i would take her for a walk to try and get her to burn off some energy. However, Gabby decided it was time to attack my hads and feet...biting HARD. When she wasn't biting hard she was pulling at her leash constantly, or running around me so that her leash kept getting us tangled. I had to hold it so tight that I am sure she must have been choking, and it was only just enough to control her.
Thus, I had enough, loaded her into the car and brough her directly home and into her crate. I am not interested in even talking to her for the rest of the day...good thing the wife came home and has taken her out for another walk...maybe it will go better this time.

All I know is that Gabby is proofing to be very hard work sometimes!

That said, she is 13 wks old and will sit, lie down, shake paws, stand on her hind paws all on command. I can also leave a treat in front of her and if I tell her to wait, she wont eat it till I say OK. So I suppose, take the good days with the bad.

Whew, what a test of patience!!! As for your horrible walk, could you have carried all that dissappointment and stress on the walk? I could definitely see the stress was warrented, but a walk shortly after was a precursor to failure. Best time for a walk is when you BOTH are calm and relaxed. Any excitement or stress will make the walk very unpleasant.

Next time, put her in the crate for a little while, grab yerself a cold beer and the remote and relax. Wait for her to be calm and you to be relaxed before putting on that leash. It will go much easier if you do.

But also, do NOT be in a po'd state when you do put her in the crate. You don't want her to associate the crate with you being upset, which will only make her upset and insecure. Be as pleasant as you can be when you crate her. It's not a punishment chamber, it's a den for her to go and be alone and relax.

BrettP

Boxer Pal
Whew, what a test of patience!!! As for your horrible walk, could you have carried all that dissappointment and stress on the walk? I could definitely see the stress was warrented, but a walk shortly after was a precursor to failure. Best time for a walk is when you BOTH are calm and relaxed. Any excitement or stress will make the walk very unpleasant.

Next time, put her in the crate for a little while, grab yerself a cold beer and the remote and relax. Wait for her to be calm and you to be relaxed before putting on that leash. It will go much easier if you do.

But also, do NOT be in a po'd state when you do put her in the crate. You don't want her to associate the crate with you being upset, which will only make her upset and insecure. Be as pleasant as you can be when you crate her. It's not a punishment chamber, it's a den for her to go and be alone and relax.

Yeah having chilled out a bit and thought about it, I think she was sensing my resentment of her and my ill manner towards her...hence she decided to play up.
The crate thing is hard because we have just built A new house and the garden (in this case the lack -there of) is mostly mud here in NZ at this time of year, so putting her outside is not an option because she just gets muddy and then needs a shower (3 times a week at present) and I can't keep her around me when all she wants to do is bite and chase and play and I need to get stuff done, so inevitably I have to close her in her crate. I am so conscious of getting her to feel safe and at home in it, but sometimes it is the only way to control her and for us to have a bit of peace and quiet! That said, it cant be too bad because once she is settled and sleepy, she doesn't leave it in a hurry!

Status
Not open for further replies.