1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by browzey, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browzey

browzey Boxer Pal

Hey guys I was just wondering about weight issues i was looking at the posts for different weights,Frank and Roxy are 4 months Frank weighs 28 lbs and Roxy bout 23 lbs is this alright for there age there ribs are visible but inever really thought much off it till now I thought I was normal as they've doubled in size since I've had them. Just wondering wat yous thought thanks

2. tmschult

tmschult Boxer Booster

Perfectly normal- my guy is close to 14 weeks, has been called "a big guy" by the vet and he weighs 27.7 lbs.

He's a little ribby also- but at this age they're running around and burning so much energy that they are going to be very lean.

I try to get him to eat all of his food when I feed him (3x a day- 1 cup each time) if he loses interest I call him back over, put some of his food on the floor near his bowl then he usually goes back to eating until he's finished

3. sargboxerluv

sargboxerluv Completely Boxer Crazy

Puppies go through "ribby" stages. They look good, then they grow and look ribby. Then they put weight on and look good. And then you turn your head they grow again on you and look ribby.

And of course every growth spurt happens the day you take them to your friends house so they keep asking you why you aren't feeding your puppy! LOL

My guy was 20 lbs at 15 weeks when we brought him home and very ribby. If I would not have gotten to see his plump sister I would have been worried. But he must have grown and she didn't (he was a good 2 inches taller). Now he is 19 weeks and 30 lbs and not ribby.

4. prittiegirl

prittiegirl Super Boxer

Sounds OK to me. Boxers should have a couple of ribs visible. People like to comment that you are "starving your dog" and the like, but as long as you know they are well fed and healthy, you should be good with happy puppies! My girl is still not filled out at 14 months.

Not that I'm promoting Purina, but they do have a good weight chart so that you can see how dogs and cats should look if they are in a healthy or underweight size range. My dog borders between a 3 and 4.

5. meoklmrk

meoklmrk Boxer Buddy

My boy is 7 and and a half months old and he weighs 40-41lbs, I have gotten comments about how skinny he is since the day I brought him home, people just don't seem to realise that it's just the way boxers are particularly for the first year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.