Worried about the baby coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopster2208

Super Boxer
I will have to try laying the baby doll on the floor, see how careful Cooper is with it. He is kind of clumsy (we call his paws jalopenous or meat hooks) he just kind of flops around, stepping on toes and feet at will... I think it will be hard to get the 'true' effect until the baby is actually there, his nosing the doll before tells me that he isn't fooled.

Touzy

Boxer Booster
Hi! I don't know if this will help, but I noticed that Cooper isn't a year old yet?
We got our first boxer when my oldest son was a year old and I was expecting. I wound up raising a puppy a toddler and a baby at the same time. (What was I thinking!!) Then I had another baby when Bo was two. That dog thought he was just another one of the kids. A little clumsy at first - so of course there were a few.. whoops stepped on the crawler or accidently hip checked the toddler. But everyone survived and Bo was just another boy in the family - who was extremely protective and loyal. We couldn't have picked a better breed to raise with our sons and whenever anyone with kids says they are thinking about a dog.. I can't say enough about boxers!! I hope you will all have as many happy and funny memories with Cooper as we did! Just wait until the day you try to scold "his" baby. : )

ladiedoc

Boxer Pal
We have an 8 month old and Doc absolutely loves him. We had Doc in the babies room whenever we were in there doing something, we also brought home a blanket that the baby spit up all over. Doc just sniffed it and walked away. We were somewhat worried when we brought Ladie home since she is just a puppy and a huge ball of energy, but she just seemed to know instantly that she had to be gentle around him. They are now best buds.

Good luck!

LuvDaBabies

Boxer Booster
We've been fortunate with Justice, she and Tyler (our 19 month old son) have grown up together (she's 21 months) - yes I brought them both home the same week. I'm now expecting our thrid son and I've been curious how she'll react to a new baby, I'm going to try these suggestions as well.

One more I have for you, have you let Cooper listen to your tummy? Justice lays her head on my tummy and she can hear him in there and I know they are bonding already!

Coopster2208

Super Boxer
LuvDaBabies said:
One more I have for you, have you let Cooper listen to your tummy? Justice lays her head on my tummy and she can hear him in there and I know they are bonding already!

Aww, I wish he would do that. Everyone says that the dog knows before the humans do...I think Cooper lost that DNA strand. I haven't been able to lay down on the bed, or sit on the sofa without my legs pulled up in a protective barrier, and that is getting harder and harder to do... :) I think since he is still a puppy it may have a lot to do with it.

I will give that a try at bedtime tonight though...

rog1006

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hey there-

I just had our first baby on Nov 21st and we have a 5 yr old boxer, a 2.5yr old boxer, and a 13yr old mix. We've done obedience with them extensively, but knew it would be a difficult transition for them so we prepared. We DID get a baby gate and put it in the doorway of the baby's room so they can be a part of everything (and to keep the nosey goofballs from scratching on the door!). It's awesome and it's TALL and you lift a lever and walk through it. It's oak and looks great (as we're selling our house now) and we found it at www.skymall.com. When we brought him home, we kept him in the car seat and took each dog one by one and let them get a good sniff of his little hands and feet and told them they were GOOOOOOD dogs and we didn't yell at them or make them nervous. We made it very VERY positive and gave them treats when they sat next to him. They LOVED it. Later that night I was in the nursery rocking the baby and I looked out and all three dogs were sleeping in the hall right outside the door. At one point I noticed Mason (the youngest) had LONG drool strings hanging from him jowels as he was so excited! :LOL: I can see how some people would FREAK if they saw that, but he was fabulous. He, of all the dogs, has claimed our son. He sits by his swing and when he's in the vibrating seat, he's right next to him. When I get up in the night, the other two stay asleep in our bed, but Mason gets up right with me when he hears him cry. It's so adorable. We are VERY careful and they aren't with him a second without us right there, but I feel so good about their little relationships with him already. PREPARE your pooches and remember not to yell at them or scare them when you bring the baby home. Start rules NOW like not allowing them on the sofa if you are going to put the baby on the sofa. Personally, we do all of that in the baby's room--tummy time on the bed, etc as I don't want to set the dog's up for failure by putting him somewhere like the living room sofa or floor as they are ALWAYS there.

Good Luck--I'm sure he'll be wonderful!

Coopster2208

Super Boxer
Follow up - Brought Baby Home on Friday

Our New Skin Baby Declan has arrived!! - His four-legged brothers Cooper and Bauer, and big Sister Isabel are all adapting to the new addition VERY well!!

Well, all of my worrying was for nothing. We brought our new son home on Friday. I used everyones advise, and I came in first without the baby, let my four-legged boys out, gave them lots of love, and my husband followed and put the carrier on the dining room table. We came back in and Cooper knew there was something up there, so he did little bounces trying to see. Bauer didn't seem too interested in the baby at all! My husband did bring home the hat at blanket from the hospital days prior to me coming home. He threw the blanket on the sofa (which they sniffed the heck out of) and just left it there, the hat was on the TV stand. While my husband wasn't looking the two of them managed to destroy it... *YIKES*. But, when we finally brought the baby home, Cooper was the only one that really wanted to see the baby. So, we put the carrier on the floor (without the baby in it at first) and then made him sit and let him sniff while I held our son. Later that night I set up the bassinett. Put the baby in it for bed, Cooper slept directly under it... getting up to check on him everytime he made a noise...

It's been 6 days, we were foolish to worry. Cooper surprised the heck out of us! He follows whomever has the baby, and now, when bedtime comes I will put Declan in his bassinett and Cooper will stand on our bed and peek in (just to make sure he is there) and when we are changing him, Cooper is right there. We have had him on the floor on his playmat... Cooper, will come over sniff, and lay down next to the mat.... Boxers are really great animals!!

x19er

Boxer Insane
Many congratulations on your new baby boy appicon. You must be thrilled that your four legged babies have adjusted so well to the new family member.

Beau's Mommy

Boxer Insane
Awww congratulations! Aren't babies wonderful!!?! I'm so glad everything is working out between the furbabies and skin baby.

Dunkin

Boxer Insane
Congrats on the new baby!!!!!! You have your hands full now. You will have so many happy moments. Enjoy them all!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.