1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about the baby coming...

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by Coopster2208, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coopster2208

Coopster2208 Super Boxer

This past holiday, my sister-in-law brought over her 4 week old baby. We had the baby in a Boppy on the sofa (and made sure it wasn't in "Cooper's spot"), he was VERY curious about her, since it was only the second time he had gotten to see her. We allowed Cooper to sniff her and lick her hands and face, but then he tried to climb up on the sofa, right where she was laying!! I pulled him off, and he resistited a bit, but got down... but then he ran around to the back of the sofa and did a gazalle like leap landing right where he was originally going for, missing her arm by an inch!! Sadly, we had to put him in his crate for a long time out... But, we are expecting our second child in April. After seeing his act like this I am so worried that he was unintentionally hurt our baby!! We have a 5 year old now, that he absolutely adores, and is amazing with, but she plays with him, and tells him OFF! when he gets too affectionate for her... Does anyone have any suggestions for getting Cooper used to the baby before we bring it home? We have a baby gate set up, to keep him upstairs, that I was thinking about putting at the entrance to the nursery, but he easily cleared the sofa, that baby gate will not hold him back if he wants to get in there!!! HELP!!!

2. Dunkin

Dunkin Boxer Insane

My daughter and her DH. got a life size doll that crys and carried it around and treated it just like a baby for a month before the baby was born. They have a pit/boxer mix, they let her smell and investigate but treated her just like they would with the real baby. It really seemed to help. Tinker has been wonderful with the baby. Maybe this might help you. OH yeah they kept baby powder and lotion on the doll so she would get use to the smell.

3. Baileysmom

Baileysmom Boxer Insane

I totally agree, the life sized doll would help. With teaching your dog not to got too close and to watch the baby.
    I have a six month old, and Bailey has been great from the start. The first initial intro was interesting, but she is great with the baby. She lays with her on the floor and snuggles. She some how just "knows" to be gentle.
    IMO you have to let the dogs near the baby, because the more you keep them away, the more they want to be near them and wonder what it is and why they can't be there!! Make sence??
    My husband also brought home her hat a day or two before the baby came home. We were going to do a blanket, but the nurse said the hat works great because the hat was the one they put on her right after she was born and it had some blood and stuff still in it. (as grose as that sounds!!)
    Also let the dog in the baby's room, smell the baby's stuff, etc. Me and Bailey would just hang out in the room before the baby came. Now it's Baileys favorite place to be!!
    Lacey is HER baby!! LOL.
    Best of Luck, and congrats on your new little miracle!!

4. Coopster2208

Coopster2208 Super Boxer

Where did they get the doll from?

5. 3dognight

3dognight Super Boxer

We too were very concerned with how our Cooper would react to our baby and we did the hat/blanket thing with the baby's scent. When we came home from the hospital I came in first without the baby, as I had never been away from my Cooper that long and we sure missed eachother. So we greeted, hugged and kissed and then my husband brought the baby in. He sniffed and sniffed and licked and licked! But as you can see in my gallery pics, he loves Olivia to pieces and is very good with her. I agree with not keeping him away from the baby, the more you do the more they want to be near! I've also tried not to say "no" when he is giving the baby kisses, I try to say "thank you for kissing Olivia, now can mommy have some kisses". Cooper loves to be apart of our baby's routine and is right there for all of the feedings and tummy time!

I wished I had heard of the doll thing, that sounds like a fabulous idea!

I think most dogs are more intuitive then we give them credit for and I'm sure your dog will do very well.

6. koaboy04

koaboy04 Boxer Insane

That is such a great idea about the doll I would have never thought of that.
    I love BW!

7. Luvnmyboxer

Luvnmyboxer Boxer Insane

My niece got a doll for x-mas last year that cried and everything like a real baby. Titan followed her around constantly when she had that baby. When she would lay her doll down on the floor Titan would crawl up next to it and lay down. WHich was so odd becuase Titan has never had a real baby to deal with in his house. I think your dog will do just fine when the time comes, boxers seem to sense things like this and I'm sure yours will too. Just be firm with your training still but know Cooper is curious and wants to give his new brother/sister his love and affection too. Good Luck! BTW, my nieces' doll probably came from Walmart, it cried and went to the bathroom, and I know a bottle was included and that it burped too, but I don't know the name of it. The lotion and all is a good idea too.

8. Coopster2208

Coopster2208 Super Boxer

I can't thank you enough for all of your advice, I am starting to feel a little more at ease.

I used one of my daughter's baby dolls this past weekend (one that cries and says Mama) and just kind of brought it around the house with me wrapped up in the blanket. I don't know whoever said "Curious as a kitten", he/she evidently didn't own a boxer!! Cooper kept doing this pounce up to see what I had. He didn't jump on me, but he was like Tigger with the bouncing. So, I told him to settle and brought the baby down to his level to sniff, I even made it cry and say mama while he was doing his thorough examination. His ears were perked up and looked at me, then the doll, then me again... he did give it a hard nudge "AKA-the jackhammer" but it was more like,"Ma, who are you foolin' here?".

We will do a few more trial runs with the baby doll once the crib is set up, and my husband had the idea of putting one of the walkie talkies in the crib and the baby doll, leave the door open, one of us goes outside with the other and start making a baby crying noise, just to see if he tries to knock it over...

9. M&K Kirkland

M&K Kirkland Boxer Pal

My son is 23 now, but I still remember bringing him home from the hospital. We had a 150 lb New Foundland (also great with kids). Back then books I read said they (dogs) just want to know what is in the bundle and are curious, they need to know what that thing smells like. Well the dogs don't have that many germs, so I took the books advice, and put my 4-1/2 lb preemie on the floor and opened up all the blankets. Jack sniffed his head, went to sniff his feet, went back to sniff his head, then curled up and went to sleep. For 12 years Dan had a huge black shadow follow him everywhere he went, and believe me, nobody messed with that boy!

10. TracyLynn

TracyLynn Super Boxer

Hello! I have a two month old and two boxers. We also carried a doll around. We also set up all of the baby stuff ahead of time to get them used to it. I would diaper the doll on the floor getting them used to the smells of the lotions, etc. I would put them in a down stay and then put the baby on the floor, etc.

The main thing that helped us was a CD that we ordered off of the website preparingfido.com. It had many tracks of crying and cooing babies. It was great. They don't even flinch when DS cries because of the exposure to the CD.

They are GREAT with our son. Rita was never great with kids and we were worried. She still sleeps in our bed, and lays her head on my lap as I nurse him. It is so much fun raising an infant alongside loving and devoted animals!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.