1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wont Play, Wants To Fight

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by chuds, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuds

chuds Boxer Pal

Hi bw

my boxer ARTHUR is now 1 year, excellent in everyway, with my children, good in the house, trys to play with the cat, but shes not having it, great in other peoples houses, good int he car, everything great.

BUT for the last 4 months, getting worse and worse with other dogs, or bitchs, which shocked me, first he would play, now wont, I took away his ball, for a few days due to his aggression if another dog came near him, when he had it, well to be expected, it is his, but even if he sees a stick he will fight over it, even when its not his, cheeky.

now when i go to the park i have to keep him on the lead untill no ones about, its a shame because i feel he is missing out on all the great play, with the group of playfull dogs, he did meet one dog, both on leads and this one is sooooo playfull but as soon has we let them off to play and they started to jump around, that was it Arthur attacked him.

so now i have given up, taking his ball which he loves or his stick, i just stay out of the way of them all, same park every morning. but just lately one certain dog owner does not call his dog, and lets him run straight over, i have to quickly get Arthur. he will stay and not go over to others, as if he likes to just be with me, which is great but i feel it is a shame for him.

I always thought this breed were not aggressive only if provoked, but not in Arthurs case, anyway he is great and well behaved otherwise, comes when i call him, stays when i tell him. so I will have to just stay on my side of the park

2. sgbtab

sgbtab Banned

some dogs weather boxers or another breed just don't get along with other dog's. as hard as it sounds that's the way it is.
    one thing you might want to try is taking him on strolls around other dogs that are leashed.ignore the other dogs so he can see they are not a threat to you or him. it takes time and it may never get resolved but you need to try it just in case you are not around to help.

also it is never a good idea to take a dog to the park on a leash when other dogs are not on one. that could lead to more aggression.

3. TysonsMoma

TysonsMoma Boxer Buddy

I am in the same boat! Tyson, now 2 1/2 has just recently changed into something unlike him. At home he is great, and with my young cousins who poke and prod him. We have been going to the park since he was a very young puppy and he never had any problems. Then slowly his playing started to get a little rougher and sometimes I would have to pull him away b/c the other owners weren't too sure that he was playing. Now it has gotten to the point that we won't let another dog get near him. Its like he thinks they are out to get him. His hair stands up and he will lunge at them with his teeth out when all they want to do is say hi. Tyson, however, was bit by a dog at the park once. So I am thinking that this may have caused this behavior. Either way it is so sad. He used to have so much fun playing and galloping around with the other dogs. Now we just have to go on walks through the nature paths all alone. Luckily we do have another dog that he gets along well with so he still gets to be around one of his own. Let me know if you find anything to fix this behavior. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.