1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wondering what you guys think...

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by Coco'smommy, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco'smommy

Coco'smommy Boxer Insane

Some of you have probably seen my thread in health issues. If so you know Coco is recovering from some pretty major surgery she had on Friday. Today is the last day of school so the rest of the week (three days) my kids will be home with her while DH & I are at work before they are busy with other activities. They are 14 & 10. I am kind of nervous about them paying attention and doing what they are supposed to for her. I probably shouldn't doubt my kids, they love her and I know they are capable but I'm still nervous. I am terribly over protective of her and I feel like I need to wrap her in bubble wrap..lol At this point the vet said that it's okay for her to walk around the house but she is not to be jumping on or off the furniture, taking the stairs unnecessarily and MUST ALWAYS be on a leash when she's going outside. Here's my dilemma, do I just reiterate the instructions and let it go or do you think I should make them leave her in the crate during the day? I haven't completely decided what to do and just wondered what you guys thought.

2. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

I would reiterate it and show them the stitches etc and make sure they understand its life or death. If you don't think things went well on the first day then keep her crated......the downside of the crating full time will be she will see the kids and probably get agitated. Good luck

3. Coco'smommy

Coco'smommy Boxer Insane

See that's what I was thinking too. I hate to leave her in there if I don't have too and it will be hard on all of them.

4. SILLY6PAK

SILLY6PAK Boxer Insane

I think this is a good life lesson for the kids. How better to teach empathy than careing for their dog. I think they will amaze you if you let them know how vital it is for coco. Hard not to know with that incision.

5. Roxygirl2006

Roxygirl2006 Super Boxer

I would leave her with the kids, but check in with them a lot.

6. Beau's Mommy

Beau's Mommy Boxer Insane

I agree! Give them specific instructions on how to care for her and make sure they understand just how important it is for her health that it be done properly. I think they would take great pride in knowing mom trusts them enough to care for Coco. And like like has been stated, if you don't feel right about it after the first day, then by all means crate her. But I think with some instruction and guidance, your kids will do fine with her. Good luck!

7. sgbtab

sgbtab Banned

I'm sure they will take good care of her. after all you raised them.:) they know what happened to her and will baby her. have faith.

8. MeganMK

MeganMK Completely Boxer Crazy

I think they will probably want to take good care of her, but I also think they are kids, and will want to be off, not paying attention to her all the time too. I think it is a really good idea to go over everything with them, and let them know very specifically what care needs to take place for CoCo, and them let them tell you how they feel about it. And also give them the out of using the kennel. Tell them that if they don't/can't pay full attention to CoCo, it's ok, but she needs to stay safe in her kennel. That way, CoCo can be out of her kennel some during the day, but the kids can get a break too. It's not that I think your kids don't care, I am positive they do. But, I am just trying to think about the kind of attention a 10 and 14 year old would be able to handle, especially during summer break. I think if you go over all the care she needs, they will want to help out though, I'm sure they were terrified at the thought of losing your furbaby. I am really glad she is doing so well.

9. tesster

tesster Boxer Insane

I've just read through the entire ordeal. I have no idea how I missed it. I hope Miss. Coco continues to heal.

I'm going to go against the popular vote and say that she should be left in the crate unless you're there to watch her. It is the safest place for her. The less she moves around, the faster she will heal and the less risk of injury.

You're automatically going to be more attentive than the children will be because you're, "Mom." I'm more attentive than my husband for that reason.

I think she will be fine either way, but do what you think will put your mind at ease.

10. Coco'smommy

Coco'smommy Boxer Insane

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I think I have decided what to try. Naturally being summer they don't want to be couped up at home all day and both have friends right in the neighborhood they would like to spend some time with so I've decided on a compromise. We'll try having them at home during the morning with Coco, feed her, take her out and let her be out of the crate for a few hours. After lunch they can crate her and then go hang out. This way Coco is getting some attention and also rest and the kids are helping me out by keeping a eye on her but also getting to do what they want too. Hopefully that will work for everyone and they are not having to be responsible for her all day. My daughter will be at the house just catty corner from our backyard with her friend and mother. My son will be around not too far. They can stop in & check on her if they want but if not, it won't be a big deal until DH & I get home as she'll be safe in her crate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.