1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wonderful with my 3 & 6 yr old Human Kids!

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by NWCoastie, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWCoastie

NWCoastie Boxer Pal

Our Ginger-Snap (DOB 04/30/03) is AMAZING with our two kids. What is most amazing is how she plays differently with my 6 yr old son than with my 3 yr old daughter. She adjusts for their play-level abilities. My son plays a little more "dog like" with her, so to speak. She does likes to tug on his clothing, BUT, she never, ever, bites at his body and she does not push her boundaries. She promptly responds when he gives her a loud and firm "No Bite!" command. Early on we explained to him that if she did not stop when he asked her to, he was to stop playing with her. She quickly figured out that if she wants her boy-toy to keep playing with her, she has to listen to him and play nice! ;-)

As for my 3 year old daughter, who is quite petite, Ginger plays with her more gently and spends a lot of time giving her kisses and cuddling with her. She never plays chase with her or tries to tug on her clothes like she does with my son. The only thing she does that upsets my daughter has been the occasional desimation of one of her stuffed animals and the few hands and feet chewed off her barbie dolls! Oooops!

I am truly amazed that Ginger senses the difference between my two kids. She plays very differently, and appropriately, with each of them. Her instinct in this regard is outstanding and solidifies what people say about Boxers being great family pets. So true, so true!

Now, to decide if we want a second boxer to keep Ginger company? I am off to search the forums to read up on that subject! ;-)

2. CarlaS

CarlaS Boxer Booster

I was also really amazed to see this instinct play out with Porter and my kids (1 and 3). He was wilder with my 3 year old, trying to play with her. However, with my 1 year old he would just walk around and lick him :) He has only accidentally knocked him down a few times becaues overall he is more restrained around the little one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.