1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

with kids . . . . . male or female??

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by natasha_1984, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natasha_1984

natasha_1984 Boxer Buddy

Hello,

I will be getting a new boxer puppy within the next couple of months, and I was wondering whether a male or a female is the best dog with kids. I have heard that the female would make a better dog with kids because the male would tend to want to compete with the child.

What do you think makes the best dog? with kids?

Anything on this subject would be very appreciated.
    Thanks,

Natasha

2. natasha_1984

natasha_1984 Boxer Buddy

Yes, I know just what you mean. My lab is a male and he's just great with kids, couldn't ask for a better dog. But I didn't know if boxers were the same or not, I know that all breeds are different, and that every dog is unique. And I've heard both sides of the story, some people say the males are best and some say it's the female. I was just wondering what everyone things. I'm sure that the way you socialize them and the way you have the kids interact with them would make a big difference in the outcome. But thanks, it's nice to know what other people think, and to see how it has worked out with other people. I would like to get a female, but my fiancé would like to get a male. So we'll see how it goes.

3. laylafaith

laylafaith Boxer Buddy

I think it totally depends on the dog.. I've known male and female dogs both that have been amazing with children... Some breeds more so then others, but anyway... I was worried about this too when we chose to get a female boxer. I'm amazed at how well she has done with my girls though (4and6). Sometimes she tries being bossy and treating them like they are littermates - biting on their clothes, growling and pulling them around by the legs of their jeans LOL but other then that, she is so lovable and always wants to be around the girls.

4. sarah taylor

sarah taylor Boxer Booster

I've only ever had female Boxers, my first, Jade was here before the children, she was 3yrs when my eldest was born and we thought we may have some jealousy but she accepted him straight way and then when I had my second child a girl she actually mothered her, if Megan cried Jade was there before me. I never worried about them being in rooms alone together there was not a bad bone in her body. Well then came Ruby, she gets on great with the kids but she does try to dominate but only my son not my daughter, weird?
    But I think what ever choice you make it's the way you train and raise them that counts not what sex they are.
    Good luck with your furbaby.

5. jksjkc

jksjkc Super Boxer

Male vs. Female for kids

I think no matter what gender you choose you need to involve the children in the training, feeding and rewarding process so that the pup understands that the children are just as in charge as you are. When we brought our Butch home we had a trainer come a few days later and go over, with the children, how they need to be involoved so that he won't compete with them. A female can try to dominate just as much as a male and can be less tolerant of invasion of space.

If of course the children are too small to join in the process than make sure when you buy your pup from a reputable breeder you ask them to give you the right one for your family. If it's a concern, do your research on the breeder, Butch's is big on breeding for temperment and her dogs carry the great reputation. Puppies usually assert their position in their own pack of siblings. The one in the middle, not to dominate and not to skiddish, should be the one you choose. A good breeder, knows their pups and can usually point you to the perfect match.
    That is what our breeder did. She said that our Butch was a great candidate for kids. Not shy or alpha.

And then there's the beauty of rescue. The rescue centers usually know which dogs love kids. Rescue dogs somehow seem to have a "greatful" attitude toward the families that take them under their wings.

With that said, boxers are great for kids. My Butch and children are the best of friends and he knows that they are in charge. He prefers them over me and misses them dearly when their gone. He never leaves their side.
    Hope this helps.

Good luck and keep us informed about your decision.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  6. Dutchess1104

Dutchess1104 Boxer Booster

I have just always gotten females they have always been my preference, I have heard good and bad in both genders I think it depends on what you put into the training and the individual dog. I have heard good things about both male and female so I think you should just go for what suits you and your family best.

7. DonieM

DonieM Boxer Booster

I dont think one is better than the other. I have both a male and female boxer and a male and female child. The boxers both play and lounge on the kids. Bailey our male tends to be more excitable around younger kids but I think alot of that was he is still ajusting. Abby our female is more attentive and protactive of the kids.

Hope this helps. I think that you just need to find the best puppy you all like and fits in with your family, then hold them up and see if you like the FM or M.

8. Ranvan

Ranvan Super Boxer

From experience, I can say that a female can be exceptional. My last boxer was raised with our boys. When we got her as a puppy, we had a three year old boy and a eighteen month old boy. Yes, we "trained" them, but it was something even as a puppy to see how gentle she was with them. Truthfully, she was never trained as well as she should have been, but you would never know watching her with the children.

As she got older, we "added" two more boys. Each baby was treated gently and watched over. I have pictures of Annie at ten months with blankets completely covering her while my then two year old slept on her. She wouldn't budge when I said her name. It was as if she knew her movement could wake the boy.Never did we have a problem. And she was a hyper dog.

Our new boxer female was not raised with children. She has had some adjusting to a house full of not so quiet boys. She is much better, but she still jumps occasionally at sudden noises. Even still, she has not been aggresive. However, she is still a bit scared of visiting children.

I have heard that males are as good, but some may be a bit more playful and not realize what jumping on children can do. I am quite confident that whichever gender you choose will be good with your children. The thing you should consider is introduing it to other children as well.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  9. Zannie

Zannie Completely Boxer Crazy

both my boxers are great with kids but my male scout is like a nanny to my 2.5 year old granddaughter he sticks like glew to her she told him he was her best friend one day almost made me cry............

ann

10. Rocky's Ma

Rocky's Ma Completely Boxer Crazy

I have a male (Rocky) and he is great with kids. He even let my 2 year old nephew sit on him and he could have cared less. He' a kid lover, that's for sure. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.