1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winston is a little small for his age, what can I do..

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by cherran, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherran

cherran Banned

Our new lil pupper winston is small for his age (9 wks 8 lbs) and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help him pack on some muscle.
    I'm not sure how much he is eating, I just let him eat what he wants about 3 times a day.
    He is on chicken soup for puppies. I really don't want to add canned in because he is still having soft-serve type poopies. And he is even on "Endosorb" tablets prescribed by my vet, to help firm up his stools (on 2 days now and not any change). Plus he had bloody mucus in his stools, and that is another reason. The vet said it was probably his colon was irritated because of stress of going to a new home and food change. Hopefully that's all it is.
    If someone can give me some tips I'd really appreciate it. I want him to grow up a strong healthy boy. He was the runt of the litter too, so he could probably use some tlc. lovicon

2. SoleilBxrs

SoleilBxrs Banned

If he was the runt, he may stay a smaller boxer, but sometimes the smallest pup in the litter will grow to be the largest. you just never know. pups grow at various speeds, sometimes they will look tiny, the next moment they will have put on 10lbs in a week and a half. they go through ugly stages, gangly stages, small stages, and sometimes weight gain stages. and sooner than you think, they'll be full grown and you will be yearning for those days your XXL "lap" dog actually would fit in your lap. :LOL: As a stool firmer, you can try adding some pumpkin to his food. As long as he is eating, acting like a healthy pup, i wouldn't try to pack on muscle or anything like that. Pups won't start to fill out until after 1yr. At this point don't worry too much about Winston's size... as it is ever-changing. Enjoy his small size while you can! ;) good luck, hope his tummy feels better soon!

-Kat, Cassius and Nikita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.