Will girls fight whatever the breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilSands Mom

Boxer Booster
We have Titan -boxer and a 5year old adpoted havanese. She is spayed, We may have the opprtunity to adopt a 3 yr old WESTIE...thoughts?

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
I believe it can vary for different breeds. Some breeds tend to have female aggression issues (boxers and pit bulls for example), some breeds are more inclined to have male aggression (bulldogs, so I've heard) and some very laid-back breeds rarely have any of that nonsense. :) Best to research the breeds in question to see if this may be a problem.

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
I am with Caney. I think it differs between breeds. In Dobermans, male aggression is prevalent where as the females can co-exist just fine.

Is this a rescue you are going through? If so, I would ask them. Good luck. :)

Nuka

Boxer Pal
Research the breeds...

I would definitely suggest you and your family meet the dog first. If y'all seem to like her, ask if you could come on a later date to allow your dogs meet the new pouch... If that's at all possible.

Every dog is different. I've seen cases where breeds known to have same-sex-aggression become best buds with their pack!

It all depends on: 1. how they were introduced (whether it was forced or gradual), 2. if you're the pack leader/dominant one, 3. the breed of the dog, 4. the dog as an individual

Good luck!

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
, 2. if you're the pack leader/dominant one

That actually has nothing to do with it. In breeds where same sex aggression is prevalent, you could be the president of the United States, but they could careless - they just want the other dog dead.

Cami

Boxer Insane
I have 3 clients with Westie's. One home with a male also has a female Yorkie. Another home has a single male and finally a home with a single female.
To be honest....not trying to offend Westie lovers but all three of them are possessive of toys and bones. Will bite if you come near them while eating a meal. Very stubborn. Have to be bribed to get them to pretty much do anything. All three show aggression towards other dogs while ON leash. The male and female Yorkie combo guy is very bossy towards her.
If these were all in the same household I could see where it might be blamed on their human counterparts but seeing how they are all in different homes it seems (TO ME) to be a bit of "traits of the breed". Could be wrong though!
All three are affectionate towards humans and love to play. They are very funny too and all love to DIG! Did I mention they also love to bark? :D

johann

Boxer Insane
Along the lines of Susi's post....westies are terriers. Terriers are by nature, fiesty creatures.

It seems like the people I know with multiple terriers (yorkies, westies) have enough issues with getting opposite sexes to get along, never mind 2 females.

Maybe a male westie would be a better option for you.

chrystel

Boxer Insane
I have 3 clients with Westie's. One home with a male also has a female Yorkie. Another home has a single male and finally a home with a single female.
To be honest....not trying to offend Westie lovers but all three of them are possessive of toys and bones. Will bite if you come near them while eating a meal. Very stubborn. Have to be bribed to get them to pretty much do anything. All three show aggression towards other dogs while ON leash. The male and female Yorkie combo guy is very bossy towards her.
If these were all in the same household I could see where it might be blamed on their human counterparts but seeing how they are all in different homes it seems (TO ME) to be a bit of "traits of the breed". Could be wrong though!
All three are affectionate towards humans and love to play. They are very funny too and all love to DIG! Did I mention they also love to bark? :D

My best friend has a male westie. Like you said, not to offend Westie lovers, but those dogs are FIESTY !!!!!!
He is very possessive of his home and kind of run the show. He attacks Oxford when we go to his house(oxford is my reactive one). (shows teeth, hops forward barking and growling). He doesn't do that when he comes to our place. On the leash, he also barks at other dogs. When he has an idea in mind, he will not drop it. pulls, yep, bark...
When we eat at my friend's place, he will bring the toys around because he wants attention, chews his bone right on your lap on the couch.. Oh but if you try to even approach the bone with your hand.. he becomes vicious!
Very possessive over toys, bone, food.

He is very well trained! they went to many classes, he knows loads of fun trick! very bright dog!

Our trainer said that westies in general was the worst LSD in all her classes (LSD = Little Shit Dogs)
:LOL: and she is not against little dogs! she has many herself! she just calls them LSD ;)

So.. I don;t know if a adding a female westie would be ok.. I'd be afraid she would actually make the boxer miserable...

Oxford actually got mad once at my friend's westie... the westie used to steal all the bones at my place. He used to go around my apartment and collect them in a corner.. and the last one was in Ox's mouth. That didn't stop him. He came, crouched down, from far, and was stalking Oxford's bone... Ox was chewing on it, and George went for it suuppppper fast, growling and snapping towards it to get it.

Well.. Oxford pawed the crap out of him! He didn't hurt him and didn't even used his mouth. But for sure, that scared the westie (and my friend) and he is now even more aggressive towards Oxford.

I didnt' get mad at Ox.. we had been trying to stop the westie's behavior for a long time.. I guess Ox took matter in his own hands (paws)

:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.