Wild Boar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaybie's Mom

Boxer Insane
Just a quick question.......I was given a decent amount of wild boar meat that has been frozen for quite a while. Is this safe to feed? I have read all over online and some say it's not ok to feed because of trichnosis and that freezing doesn't kill trichnosis......but in other places, people are saying wild boar is fine to feed as long as it's been frozen for at least two weeks. Anyone know? I have a freezer full of wild boar that I'm not sure if I can feed or not.....help?

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
Thanks for making this post. I have been wondering about this as we have friends who hunt and want to give us some wild hog but I have the same concerns as you. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

BetsyB

Boxer Insane
I would feed it and feel perfectly secure that it was safe since you said it's been frozen for awhile. If I had any doubt, I would give it a deep freeze myself for a month or so.

Kaybie's Mom

Boxer Insane
I would feed it and feel perfectly secure that it was safe since you said it's been frozen for awhile. If I had any doubt, I would give it a deep freeze myself for a month or so.

Thanks Betsy.......I've been doing a bit of research and everything is saying the freezing "MAY" kill trichnosis but not that it WILL. I'm just not comfortable enough to feed it. It seems that cooking is the only way to truly kill trichnosis. So we are going to cook it and use it for dog treats or a small meal here and there rather than throwing it all away. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.