1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is Tre's coat/fur light tan?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by rrrmarie, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrrmarie

rrrmarie Boxer Insane

Hi all,

I have a question. Tre (my pup) is fawn color. He is a light tan fawn. Why is that? When we visited the parents, the parents are the more deep reddish/brown color. I asked the breeder the same question, and he said that the coat will change colors while they are puppies. Is that true? I've seen other Boxer puppy pictures, and they are the deep reddish deer color. I'm just wondering. He kinda looks like a small mountain lion when I look at him from the back while he's stretched out. It's really not a big deal to me, I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Any comments/suggestions/answers will gladly be appreciated.

Rose

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Boxer coat colour varies dog to dog, just like human hair colour does :) As for why he may be more lightly coloured than his parents, well were they both flashy dogs (ie. with white markings) as well as both being fawn? If so, that could be the answer ;)

The gene that is responsible for white markings is the same one that is responsible for white boxers. And the white on boxers - irrespective of how much of the coat it covers - is not a colour, per se, it is lack of pigmentation. White, or mostly white boxers have two copies of the responsible gene, flashy boxers have one copy. Breeding two flashy dogs together thus produces diluted pigmentation in all offspring (not to the same extent as breeding a white dog would - which should never be done because it is pigment dilution that is responsible for deafness) but enough to result in a pale, even washed-out tan colour. This is especially true if the flashy-flashy breedings take place over multiple generations. Other signs of pigment dilution are unpigmented haws - which, in some populations, even occur on plain dogs. You can read a little more about boxer coat colour and inheritance at www.boxerworld.com/coat_colour

Based on my own observations, I also find that the pale tan colours occur most frequently where fawn dogs are bred together (again, especially over repeated generations) and the rich reds more frequently where there are plenty of brindle dogs in the ancestry. I do not, however, know of any proven genetic explanation for that one.

3. rrrmarie

rrrmarie Boxer Insane

Thank you for the information GMACLEOD!

Tre's coat is getting alittle darker than before. He's changing colors. I've added more pictures to my gallery.

Thanks again!

4. adobeboxers

adobeboxers Boxer Booster

One of my boys is really, really light tan, most people tell us he is the lightest not white boxer they have ever seen. Now his brother whi lives down the street from us is much darker...I think it is just like with kids...one may be blonde and the other brown.

I looked at your gallery...either way you have a cutie!

5. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

What do you feed? Dogs on Science Diet and the cheaper Chow-type brands tend to get straw-colored coats -- a richer diet rapidly restores them.

That's not to say you'd get a beautiful deep red, but if it's truly washed out, and the parents were not, I'd opt to change your food if you can to see if it makes a difference.

6. rrrmarie

rrrmarie Boxer Insane

Thanks again for replies, inputs and suggestions.

Adobeboxers - Thank you!!

Kassa - I currently feed him "Royal Canin" for puppies medium breed. He really likes it. I also purchased "chicken soup"...but, he just smells it. He favors the "Royal Canin". What do you suggest feeding him?

By the way, I received his certified pedigree yesterday. Tre's mother is fawn. Tre's father is fawn as well. Tre's mother's side of the family are mostly brindle (Tre's grandparents from the mother's side are brindle). But, Tre's father's side of the family are all fawn. Hopefully that made sense.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.