1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is that??

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Boxer_21, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxer_21

Boxer_21 Boxer Insane

Before I ask this question, I'd just like to say that I honestly haven't done a search or anything to find the answer. Maybe I should've, but I didn't. I apologize if this has been answered already. Now the question... Why is it dogs shown in the ring can not be altered?? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm just curious.

2. Scrapper's Mom

Scrapper's Mom Boxer Insane

I assume that is because the dog or bitch must be a perfect specimen of their type, in all ways. So they have to have all their parts, reproductive ones included - in the boys no undescended testicles are allowed. Also, quality breeders are always working to improve their lines. Showing their best dogs and winning against other breeders' best dogs validates their choices for breeding stock. What would be the point of showing a neutered/spayed dog? If they were otherwise perfect in conformation, they would be unable to pass their DNA onto future generations and contribute to improving the breed.
    Altered dogs can compete in obedience/agility and other events besides conformation.

I'm sure the professional breeders on the board can amplify on this answer for you.

3. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

4. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Just to add: The original purpose for Conformation shows were to promote and compete breeding stock. Can't breed if you don't have your "stuff" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.