1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't my pup's feet look like my other dogs?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by kbmom7, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kbmom7

kbmom7 Boxer Pal

I just got my first boxer. He is between four and five months old. We also have another dog and one of the first things I noticed about this pup is that his feet aren't in a nice tiptoe looking ball but seem to be dropped down farther ( I can't figure out how to explain it). I guess it would be like if you made a fist and set it on a table and then brought your elbow up. That is how my other dogs paws look. The boxer's feet don't look like that. They look like you just hold your hand flat with your fingers together and then point your elbow up. I know this sounds confusing. Anyway, I was wondering if this is normal for a puppy and he will grow into the fist tiptoe kinda look later on or if there is something wrong with his feet. I haven't been around any boxers to look at their feet to compare.

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Exactly what a dog's feet should look like varies substantially from breed to breed. In the case of the boxer, the feet should be small, round and tight - rather like cat feet, in fact. The toes on the rear feet will be a little longer, but still far more like those of a cat than many other dog breeds.

If your pup has longer toes and flatter feet than that, then he's not built exactly as he should be (no dog is perfect though!). The common term for those sort of feet is hare feet. There are plenty pictures of boxers (including their feet) that you can view in the members galleries, and the breed standards from around the world (which describe how boxers should be constructed) can be viewed at www.boxerworld.com/standards

3. Vela

Vela Boxer Insane

My female has hare feet. She's almost five and they really haven't caused her a problem. My male's feet are "normal" boxer feet. Her's are not as attractive to look at but they don't cause her any problems at all. Her hind are worse than her front. Shouldn't cause your pup any harm in the long run.

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Boxers often go "down on the feet" when they're teething, so a flat foot or hare foot at this age might not mean a hare foot at maturity.

5. Ashe

Ashe Boxer Booster

Julie Why do they go down when Teething and then sort them selves out afterwards?
    Thanks
    Jen

6. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

When a pup is teething, some collagen is diverted from ligaments and cartilage to aid in tooth formation. Ears often do strange things during teething, as well. Many breeders give vitamin C at this time, as it helps collagen production.

7. Ashe

Ashe Boxer Booster

OK So when other people talk about Flat feet and flyaway ears.... That's what they are Talking about?
    hpe I Don't sound Dim, but it's come up a lot and I Was Wondering what it meant...... *Grin*
    Thanks
    Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.