Why does Duke destroy certain things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schipperj25

Boxer Booster
Has anyones boxers at 1 year seem to destroy things more at one like a rebel stage? Duke recently has been destroying stuff. I know it is my fault by not keeping an eye on him every second but when I turn around he is into something. He has destroyed our other dogs bed that is in her cage two times now. We keep her cage closed and he is pawing to get it. He has detroyed his own bed that he had since he was a puppy last week. My wife left the house today and I thought I heard her say the dogs were outside , I went out to the kitchen to get a drink and Duke had gotten a hold of potting soil bag that we just bought today and torn into it. Huge mess. I know if I leave it where he can get it then it is my fault but dang is there like a terrible two stage he is in right now? He seemed fine a until the last couple of weeks with all his chew toy etc. Now he seems intersted in things to tear up. I hope I am making sense if not sorry. And if it has anything to do with him not being neutered(a whole nother issue on another thread) then I can bring that to my wifes attention so maybe she will change her mind. If this is the case please let me know.

If it helps get him neutered I will blame his behavior on hormones :)

Fact is hes becoming a teenager now. He is full of hormones and beginning to test his limits. Its like the terrible 2s but more like the terrible 14s :)

hugomom1

Super Boxer
Our boxer babies could be related...

We tell Hugo is he does one more thing wrong, we are going to ship him off to a bad family! Ok, we wouldn't really, but he doesn't know that.

We can barely stand the sight of Hugo right now. In the last two days he has jumped and grabbed my paintbrush, carried it onto the living room furniture and chewed it up. I thought I had putit up high enough so he couldn'g get it. (by the way if anyone knows how to get latex paint out of furniture let me know).

He also chewed up a candle that was on the coffee table. This morning he got into the bathroom and snagged my bag of plastic razors and started disassembling them.

He also has been jetting out the door and running across the street and playing keep away. We call him, he ignores us. He used to stay right by our side.

He is neutered. He is almost 10 months old. I buy giggle balls, kongs, nothing keeps him occupied. He does most of his damage when df leaves and I am getting ready for work and can't watch him every second. The only thing I can think of is to put him into his cage, I hate to do it but if I don't I won't have a house left.

Tell me this behavior will someday end and the dog I love will return!:(

schipperj25

Boxer Booster
I know how you feel. I love him to death but man how I wish he would get past this stage. If I had enough room to list the things he has destroyed it would take me all day. The cost of having dogs is nothing compared to the love they give. I acutally had a friend tell me the other day that she would have gotten rid of him a while ago. I was shocked and told her to kiss my rear with that crap. With that attitude no wonder her dog doesnt like her.

Moonshadow

Super Boxer
many things have been destroyed at our house

a spatula, a remote control, a basket ball, a volley ball, a paint roller, paint brushes, paint sponges, plastic cups, panties, many pairs of shoes, an inflatable raft

AND THE BIG WINNER: a whole pair of knee high rubber boots is entirely gone!!!

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
The dog is probably bored. As they grow older, yours being 1 now, they have more energy, curiosity and their attention spans are somewhat longer. So you have to give them MORE to do than you would as a puppy because puppies tire so easily and quickly and sleep so much. Now the dog is growing (he's probably equivalent to a skin 9 or 10 year old now), he needs more outlets for his energy and more mental stimulation.

First, if you haven't done so, obedience class is a natural place to start. Playing more with the dog outside. Longer walks, etc., etc.

Also remember that mental stimulation is as good as physical exercise with boxers so working with them, taking them new places and socializing them more as they grow is important.

Another reason for destruction is because the dog simply can. You have allowed it, left things out for him to "play" with and destroy as any dog does, and have not provided him with enough alternatives and provided the right learning environment for the dog to make the correct choices of what to play with and chew etc. So, he merely chews and destroys whatever has caught his curiosity or interest. He hasn't been taught that there are alternatives which are BETTER than chewing up remote controls, bedding, flowers, etc., etc.

I suggesting doing a search on Boxerworld in the book section, find a couple of good books and start getting to work training your dog, giving it alternatives, redirecting misplaced energy and spending more and more time with your dog. The more time you spend with your dog, the better behaved it will be and thus, the more time you will WANT to spend with your dog.

Good luck.

hugomom1

Super Boxer
I agree with some of what you are saying.

Every night, Hugo, goes to the dog park to play with his buddies for around an hour. He is usually completely worn out by the time he returns. So I know it can't be lack of physical stimulation. And he has several Kongs, and giggle balls...he does care for the work envolved with the kongs. Although his behavior started getting bad about a month ago, we recently added a new puppy to the familyand I think that may have something to do with it also. He loves the puppy and they play together a lot but I wonder if he's jealous.

I don't leave things out for him to get into because I know he would chew it up. He has been seeking things to get into. He jumped up onto a high shelf to get the paintbrush, and opened a ZIPPERED bag to chew up my straw hat! He has been through basic obedience and we have been reteaching him the 'off' command, which we use when there is something in his mouth that shouldn't be.

Do you have any other suggestions for us? We would appreciate any advice you would have for us.

Moonshadow

Super Boxer
oh yeah

A straw hat . . i forgot.... Rigo ate one of those, too.

But we will be better with Penny, we are paying more attention and keeping her real busy! We also hide her bag of toys in the house and she has to find it, then she has to get her toys out of it herself.

Now if I could only teach her to put her toys back up!

schipperj25

Boxer Booster
I have another question. When we were in puppy class we were taught the leave it command. The problem is he does fine with leaving it at that time but a little later he is back at it. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone else seem to have that problem or is it just me doing it wrong?

douma

Boxer Insane
I remember that at this age Avra was in pain with her molars ,maybe a big raw bone would solve the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.