Why do boxers make the best babysitters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FONZISmomma

Boxer Pal
my boyfriend and i have been together 7 years, and have had fonzi for 5 years, so we too need to think about when we have kids how fonzi will deal with it. hes so loveable with his dad and i, im almost positive he will adapt very well and be as protective of the baby as he is of us. hes great with kids now. he knows not to jump on them, but he loves to chase and play fetch. you will be tired before he even thinks of being tired. my godmom says he is almost human like with his behaviors. when you give him a snack he doesnt snatch at it like most dogs, but takes it as gentle as a human would. so this would come in hand when tiny hands are trying to feed the doggy. lol his reaction the first time i carried my neice in the house was priceless. he kinda cocked his head to the side like HUH whats that? i wish i had pics of him on this computer at work so i could upload his handsome face.

when we went to buy him, the owners of his parents had a little girl who was proabably 2 or so and she was just a pulling on the male dogs ears, and he just kinda sat there like whatever, didnt try to get away or seem bothered at all. he probably outweighed the girl by a good 50 lbs too, but the parents also didnt seem worried. boxers are great with kids!

abcdefamily

Boxer Booster
We have a 7mo foster son and I could NOT agree more. Victoria was our 'baby' being that she's only 2 and my youngest skinkid was 4 when we got her. She was not accustomed to babies and we really didn't have any chance to get her adjusted before "Roo" came to us.
She does wonderfully with him... he uses her as a pillow, a pull up on, as a chew toy... she guards him, letting me know when he's awake, when he's up to no good (now if someone would just let me know when the boxer was up to no good!! LOL!)

Boxers are the BEST!!

Carolyn

boxermadness

Boxer Booster
Our Baxter was an out of control crazy little puppy about 14 months old when our youngest daughter was born. We brought her home and I sat on the kitchen floor with her...I swear that instantly Baxter completely settled down. He has been very protective of her and all the other kids since then. We got Zoe when our youngest was not quite 2. They have been great friends since day one. Our daughter has poked at them, pulled on them, stuck her fingers in their mouths, and anything else that toddlers do. They are always teasing her now with her dolls...They love to carry them in their mouths and kind of play keep away. They don't chew on them or anything, they just carry them around while she chases them....very cute. She has always used them as pillows...and if she is asleep they will not move till she wakes up. I'd say there is no problem at all with babies and boxers.

Tracy Mom to:
Skinkids Adam, Allie, Gabbi, Kory, and Kylee
Baxter Male Brindle 4-2001
Zoe Female Fawn 2-2004

KMB's BabyB

Boxer Booster
When we took Me-Tu(rainbow bridge) it was on a trial basis because before she was rescued she had been beaten repeatadly(sp)(had calcium deposits in her eyes from being hit over the head) and starved and just generally treated in a way that is unfathomable to most of us. Point being we didn't know how she would react to the kids. About a month after we got her my then three year old tripped over her while she was sound asleep. You would expect any dog to startle out of a sleep with some display of something. She jumped up looked at him and then licked him gently, checking in with him to see if he was okay. I totally had no doubt that she was there to stay! She would also pucker her lips around her teeth so that she could "bite", while playing without hurting you. She also wouldn't let the kids swing too high on the swings. Freya is still a puppy and so sometimes hurts the kids with puppy play but she is definately gentler than other puppies I have owned and she clearly adores her kids and would lay down her life in a heart beat if asked(really that is saying a lot since she really is a chicken:))

chuds

Boxer Pal
Hi, same here, my boxer Arthur is 11 months now, and great with my 4 children, its weird how they have it in them to adjust, to which child they are playing with, when playing with my older son, he plays rougher, than with my younger son, in play mode, then changes to very gentle and cuddles with my 11 year old daughter, he seems to know that she won't have him slobber over here, and shes a little unsure, but my sons just dont care about the slobber, its weird, has well and lovely to watch, when training him to sit ,paw,kiss,lay. he learnt very quick,to do these, but my young son who is deaf, and his speech is hard to understand, does'nt have any problems , when he tells him to sit ect; in his own speech Arthur is sooooooo clever he does it faster for him then us, i'm sure he knows something is different. also my nephew is disabled and cannot walk, so is vunerable, on the floor all the time, like a small child, yet Arthur loves him, and sits near him, ans loads of kiss's we have to stop him, so i think they are a excellent breed and very clever.

Ranvan

Super Boxer
Annie, our white boxer died two weeks ago, and one of her greatest legacies was her gentleness to children. Her personality was actually quite wary of people...except children.

We got her as a puppy when we had a three year old boy and a year and a half boy. This past week as I put all of her pictures into an album, I was amazed at how many pics I took of her with the boys. I have pics of boys using her as a pillow and a chair. I remember once when she was lying on the floor with blankets covering her almost completely (because my younger one liked to cuddle with her), I said, "Annie, can you handle all that?" All that moved was her tail as she lay there, because the boy was almost asleep.

As she got older, we had two more boys. I have pics of her with them as well. When my last one was born, he needed to be on a special monitor for six or eight months to catch if he stopped breathing. I have a picture I took of Annie sleeping next to his car seat as he was sleeping hooked to the monitor. She had her head tucked by his car seat as if she were his second monitor.

I was always amazed at her gentleness to these "quiet" boys. She loved to be with them, and when she appeared to have had too much, she "escaped."

We have had other babies in the house, and she proved to be completely trustworthy with the youngest to the oldest. She never snapped or growled once at any child. I remember seeing one of the boys doing something to her ( I can't remember what) and I cautioned them to be careful. She made no move...just licked him. I reached over and tried...I received no lick, I received a warning "bite" as if to say, "You are old enough to know better." I couldn't help but to be proud of her response.

Touzy

Boxer Booster
Long, but loving.

Whenever anyone asks me about children and dogs I ALWAYs say ~ go for a boxer.
First let me apologize for the length of this post.. but I want you who are reading this and thinking about children to be confident and the rest of you who have children and boxers to smile and maybe laugh a little. I think I will cry a little.

I had my first son and then a year later Bo was born on his birthday. We picked him up when he was 10 weeks old. Three months later I had my second son and a year and a half later I had my third son. So.. Three children and a dog all under the age of three.
Some how Bo just got squeezed in there and never ever did he doubt that he was just one of the boys. They were all raised together and maybe that is why he never thought to get grumpy with the tugging and pulling. There were just as many times that he romped with the boys and accidently knocked one down.. but he always jumped back and kissed them until they got up. He always wrapped his teeth as well when he played with kids.

Aside from sitting with them when they sat, or playing with them when they played.. he protected them. These are the two times that stand out most clearly:
The most important and heroic thing that I am proudest of was when Bo was about 4 years old. The baby had just started crawling around. I was downstairs getting laundrey and DH was upstairs with the kids. I'll never forget this.. As I started up the stairs I saw the baby at the top of the stairs.. He saw me and started to move toward me.. He began to fall down the stairs. I was so scared and as I was standing on the stairs.. putting the basked down.. Bo ran past me jumped up to the 5th stair and lay down.. stopping the baby from rolling all the way down. He didn't move a muscle until I picked up the baby. Oh I was so proud of him, never did I love that dog more than that moment. I don't know how he knew to do that.. but I was so grateful. Guess who got a steak that night???
Another time my children were all playing in the back yard and my brother in law came by. He didn't come to the front door.. but tried to come in the back gate. In a second Bo was standing up with his paws on my BIL's shoulder growling! BIL kept saying It's me, It's me, but not until Bo could really check him out did he get down!
Service people used to come to the door when the kids were babies and Bo would stand next to me.. not growling,,,but rumbling softly until I would tell him it was ok.
And... there were times I would yell at the kids and Bo would get between me and the kids and do the.. "Not making me happy by yelling at my brothers" rumble.

He loved every kid that ever came over, and when He was tired he would just go to his spot and lay down. The only person he ever allowed in "his spot" was my young niece who adored him. She would crawl over and hug him and they would nap together. Man I miss that dog. I'm so glad I have the pictures of him napping with the babies and playing with the kids.
Sorry this was so long... but truly.. this breed is the guardian of our children and the loves of our family. I know Shaemus will love my son's just as much but be the dog of the "teenagers". We are in for a lot of fun.

Empa

Boxer Booster
My Gracie (6 mths) lives with me in a boarding school for children between 7 and 13. From day one she has been pampered and cuddled by the children and they take her walks and she comes with with us all (40 children!!) when we go on outings. She can't wait in the mornings to get out and meet the children on their way back from breakfast and say good morning and she sits and stares at their doors when it's holiday time and they are away. It amazes me how Gracie can judge a small 7 yr old girl and be calm with them and the next moment be boistrous with the big strapping 13 yr old boys.
When I'm on duty in House she sits with the girls while they relax and watch tv and then does the rounds with me switching off lights and saying goodnight.
The only problem I have however is that everyone now speaks to Gracie and often forgets I'm there!!!

kjp165

Boxer Pal
I am so excited to hear this my baby is due in one week and i am so excited to see how duke responds to it (did not find out the sex). He has been awesome with kids so far, he is three , but has never been around a newborn before. Pappy and grandma will be taking care of him while we are in the hospital to help ease any anxiety he has with me being gone. He is most definitely a mommy's boy.

Leila'sMom

Super Boxer
Wow, I love all of those stories! Made my eyes well up with tears a few times.
Dh & I are years away from skin kids but love the fact that there are so many happy stories.
Dh orginally convinced me we needed Leila so our kids would have a great dog to be around. These stories are proof indeed! Thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.