1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do boxers make the best babysitters?

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by magoo's_mama, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haleyandmark

haleyandmark Boxer Insane

I too love hearing stories such as these! Mark and I aren't even engaged yet but we have been together for nearly three years and have a future planned. It is fun to think about how Asia will be when we decide to have children (not for a long while, but in her lifetime)!

I know she is really good with my little cousins - they range from 12 years to 6 weeks! While my cousins were in town for my grandma's funeral, she wasn't in the main part of the house too much (way too many people around for a silly bronco to run through), but when she was around them, she was really good! :)

2. angcolling

angcolling Boxer Pal

Boxers are so great with kids!

Bella is so patient with my 3 year old nephew! He is not very gentle with animals and it really upset me when he went over and kicked her while she was chewing her bone, slaped her when she came up to him, and screamed at her for fun. She just stayed calm and acted like it didn't even bother her! Bothered me though! When she sees children she gets very excited and wants to kiss them all over, even after the roughf time my nephew gave her.

3. nikemama

nikemama Boxer Booster

Jenna is great with our boys. We had two twin beds in the same room for the two youngest boys. They were having fun jumping from bed to bed. The three boys and Jenna were taking turns and staying in line jumping back and forth.

She will let them dress her up in their football gear shoulder pads and all, what ever makes her boys happy. She thinks she was made to protect and play with her guys.

4. Daisy'smummy

Daisy'smummy Boxer Pal

Daisy is great with my girls...

My children are 5 and 7 and Daisy came to us from the Humane Society. I was so nervous and supervised every second of Daisy's life. I quickly realized that Daisy wanted so badly to be perfect, she just wanted a real home and blended in so quickly. Daisy is so good with my children, I am just in awe of her. My youngest has some special needs and her motor skills can sometimes be off. We were all at a State Park when my youngest started to fall on our hike, but Daisy ran up behind her and broke her fall (yes she was on a leash). She seems to know when my youngest is having health issues and stays by her side. She treats every member with such love, and yet she is so great with children. She loves ball, and my daughter will play soccer with her for 45 minutes at a time (no more than that as Daisy gets too hot, and that is only late in the evening when cool). Daisy sleeps outside my daughters bedroom if they are sick. She never bothers their toys or chews on anything. She is just such a good friend to my children, I just love her to death.
    Oh and she will come and bark at me if the kids go out in our backyard and don't say anything to me. She insists she has to be watching them at all times. If my husband takes the girls to go get ice cream, she will wait at the door until they come back. She loves her girls!

5. TracyandSam

TracyandSam Completely Boxer Crazy

I admit, I'm a sap, but reading these stories makes me cry. I must agree boxers and children go hand in hand. The thing Greta does that makes me go all mushy is the nighttime ritual. She goes in and sits perfectly still as the kids say their prayers and waits patiently while I give my kisses good night so she can get up and give them each a kiss too. Melts my heart. Then before her and I turn in for the night she has to make a stop in each of their bedrooms, just to peak in on them. She's such a wonderful girl.

6. vitalsignusa

vitalsignusa Boxer Booster

Babysitter Boxer

My Harley was like that. He was a informal rescue so I wasn't sure how he would be with my niece who was about 1 1/2 at the time. I needn't have worried. While I wouldn't leave him totally alone with her I used to tell him to "watch the baby". He would lay across her legs and let her stretch out all the wrinkles on his face until I told him "All done". Then he would just get up and go lay down on his doggie bed (aka my bed).

vitalsignusa

7. boxerchick12

boxerchick12 Banned

I am so thrilled to read all these posts. I do NOT have kids, and might not ever, but I was raised with boxers. NOTHING made me happier as a child than playing with the dogs, and that is still the case. We had several boxers, but Buckwheat was around from the time I was 2 - 18!! I can remember one time I fell out of a tree that I had been climbing. It knocked the wind out of me. Buckwheat ran to the house and JUMPED THROUGH the window screen to go inside and find mom. And, I can remember coming home from school and the "mean girls" had made fun of my generic bookbag (it was this funky looking dog that you unzipped his back, and his stuffed head layed on your shoulder, I loved it, wish I still had it!) I was bawling when I get off the school bus. I sat in the yard and cried while "Bucket" (that's what I called him!) licked my tears. There is nothing in the world better for a kid than having a boxer, they provide such unconditional love, support, fun, and friendship.

8. joelover

joelover Boxer Pal

Our Joe and three-year old were the best of friends! Her favorite thing to do was get her "blankey" and "binky" and go lay in the floor with Joe. Joe had been with us for five years before we ever had a child, so I was a little worried that he would be jealous of the time and attention the baby was getting...but he was great! They romped and played and somehow he knew to be gentle with her, but would play rougher with my husband. The sweetest thing was when Maggie looked at me and said "mommy, I'm in love with my Joe". They were great friends and he gave her many great memories, even at 3.

9. Maci-May

Maci-May Super Boxer

when i first got Maci (rescued boxer) she was great with my daughter until she got in her baby walker where she would growl a bit, i'm not suprized tho as my daughter used to chacer her and run over her feet!!!! so my daughter got that walker taken off her (it wasn't my daughter she was growling at it as the baby walker) My daughter is about 13months now and Maci is great with her if i tell my daughter NO Maci jumps in front of my daughter and gives me the evil eye lol. My daughter snuggles up in bed with Maci plays fetch with Maci they are great together. I will never leave them in the same rome alone tho i won't until my daughter is about 9 or 10. When Maci has had enough of being pulled and poked she gets up and walks away to her bed which is between the sofa and table so Maci climes over the table to get to her bed (I done this so that Maci can get to a place where my daughter can't get near her but Maci can still be in the same room if she wants to without hassell. Maci and my daughter are best buddies no one can get near my daughter unless i tell Maci its OK!!!

10. Mama_Zookeeper

Mama_Zookeeper Boxer Insane

There has never been a time in my whole life where I did not have a furry friend at my side. The memories from childhood with my first boxer are still in my mind & heart. All my boxers were the same for me during my pregnancies, very watchful. When the babies came along they were downright protective of the baby. I have seen them belly crawl like a soldier to lay next to the baby on the floor, sleep with a child who has chicken pox & is feeling miserable. They are the best!

My kids all have their own favorites. My oldest prefers our cat Lola, my 2nd son prefers Mia the boston. It is my youngest who loves Rocky the most! They are soo funny, whether they are french kissing in the hall :eek: or chasing eachother in circles. If Matthew is eating something you know for sure Rocky will be getting some of it!

Dora

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.