1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are slip collard used?

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Shanz, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanz

Shanz Boxer Insane

So I know absolutely nothing about showing dogs. I want to knoow why slip collars are used and not just normal collars. I assume its because theyre thin so they dont obstruct view like a flat collar would. Can someone clarify this for me?

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

That's pretty much it - a flat collar really disturbs the line of the neck; a slip collar can get right behind the ears and almost disappear from view.

You also have a little more control with the collar right behind the ears.

3. SOBE

SOBE Boxer Booster

What kind of slip collar are you talking about? Is this the regular leather or nylon slip collar ? Is it a martinagale type collar, that I haven't head too much of except greyhounds benefit? Or is it known as the choke chain, made out of metal chain material? Is it "show" slip chain" ? Why do you need it?

4. haleyandmark

haleyandmark Boxer Insane

5. SOBE

SOBE Boxer Booster

oh. sorry, just read your post, it is for show.
    I think the higher you keep your leash on the neck, the more control you have.

It is not positioned on the jugular, or anything like that. I think if you can control the head, you can control the dog. I think this is the concept of controlling any dog..... show dogs rule...

6. SOBE

SOBE Boxer Booster

Ok,
    This is kind of out of the show dog ring, but has anyone ever heard of any dog "showing" without a lead"? I think it would be kind of an interesting show, with the dog not knowing it was released from the show lead... The dog would never know it wasn't leashed at the end..;;; has any dog showed without a lead?

7. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Just a clarification, the link posted is to a picture of a choke chain, and would not be allowed on a dog at an AKC event (conformation, obedience, agility, etc.)

There's an article on the different types of collars, including nylon and chain show collars, as well as show martingales, here:
    http://www.boxerworld.com/training/collars/

I have heard of dogs who accidentally got out of their collars and still showed as if they were wearing one. I haven't seen it personally, and I believe it would be against AKC rules. (Obedience and Agility dogs, of course, show off-lead regularly. :) )

Another reason for slip collars is that in many Sporting breeds, the collar is removed when the dog is stacked for individual examination. That would be quite clumsy to do with a buckle collar.

8. haleyandmark

haleyandmark Boxer Insane

Thank you for clarifying that. I realize it (like I said, I have been around it), while I know others have not. I just knew that a choke chain can look somewhat like a slip collar and is just worn differently in the ring or at shows or what not. When I was younger my mom always told me to keep my shoulders back, head up, and walk tall - it will get you places ... this was about the time she was showing dogs so I always thought that she kept that collar right behind their noggin/ears to keep their heads tall so that they would look their best in the show ring - which I know is probably a part of it, but I never knew there was so much more to it! ;)

I kept thinking about that last night after I went to bed, I was wanting to edit my post but ended up falling asleep before Mark got off, so thank you for clarifying that! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.