1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White boxers - what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by sarah_bailey, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarah_bailey

sarah_bailey Super Boxer

Hi,

I'd love to show my white boxer Bailey, but because he's white, I cant....

This is unfair! Why cant you show white boxers?? They're just a beautiful as reds and brindles. Bailey's parents were both showed, he has come from wonderful bloodlines.

At the end of the day, a boxer is a boxer - it shouldn't matter what colour they are.

Dont get me wrong, I still love Bailey regardless, but I was just wondering whats wrong with them being a white show dog aswell as a loving pet?

2. stampingrace

stampingrace Super Boxer

Visit www.akc.org. It should explain things better than I ever could.

3. sarah_bailey

sarah_bailey Super Boxer

Thanks for the site.

It says

"Disqualifications - Boxers that are any color other than fawn or brindle. Boxers with a total of white markings exceeding one-third of the entire coat"

But why? I really dont think they should be excluded when they are still just as beautiful.

4. Louise501

Louise501 Boxer Insane

Someone must make the rules and that is the rule I suppose! I understand what you're saying though, Luka is white and beautiful :)

5. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

Must be frustrating to you but it is the breed standard as written , as simple as that. Conformation promotes the ideal look of the breed as it is defined currently. It is not necessarily a condemnation of the white boxers. And standards change over time to refect the evolution of the breed. But I think the standards are important in the sense that they preseve what the dog is supposed to be like in regard to look and temperment. There are a lot of wonderful things you can do with your dog that mean as much, or more , than conformation (Only intact dogs can show so that eliminates a lot of us right off :) ). Obedience and agility are areas where boxers can really shine and color, or the standard for that matter, do not come into play. Right before I got my Nysa I was going to get the sweetest white boxer puppy you ever saw but, alas, someone beat me to her-she was gorgeous!

6. sarah_bailey

sarah_bailey Super Boxer

I want to make the rules!!! ;)

7. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I think you misunderstand the purpose of showing. It's not some sort of beauty contest, and it's not for showing off your pet. The single, solitary purpose of the show ring is selection of specimens who are close enough representatives of the breed standard to be used for breeding.

This is why you cannot show a spayed or neutered animal also. They cannot be used for breeding, therefore it is pointless to show them.

An unpigmented (white) boxer is a disqualification under the breed standard in the UK. The discussion really should end right there - if an animal has some physical feature that is excluded by the standard, then it is impossible that they could possibly be judged close enough to it to be a specimen suitable for breeding.

But you should bear in mind WHY white boxers are excluded. You seem to think it's because somebody doesn't or didn't like white. It's not - it is because they cannot be used for breeding: they have a double dose of a pigment-diluting gene that would cause ALL of their offspring and subsequent generations to have their pigment diluted. That would mean, amongst other things, that the incidence of deafness within the breed would rise. With whites excluded from breeding, deafness in this breed is small - less than 2%. Within the white population it's 20%. Deliberately breeding a known defect into a dog breed would be irresponsible in the extreme (what would you say about someone deliberately breeding a heart defect, or epilepsy? It's no different). The above percentages only relate to bilateral deafness, btw - very likely the figure is double for unilateral. And it does not require that a white dog be affected for his offspring to be.

THAT is why the colour is excluded from the standard. And that is why they cannot enter a contest for selection of breeding stock.

It is not unfair, discriminatory or any other emotive label you'd like to attach to it. It is responsible.

There are plenty of other competitions - those that don't exist for selection of breeding animals - that whites and neutered pets are perfectly welcome to be entered in. Rather than bemoaning the showring (you're not a breeder anyway), why not get involved in some form of dogsport? It's a fair bet that Bailey would have a lot more fun with it.

Moving your thread to the showing forum.

8. sarah_bailey

sarah_bailey Super Boxer

Thankyou for that response, I completely agree and am really glad that you have responded it such a deatailed way for me.

I see shows on tv / internet etc and would just love to be part of them, not because I think boxers are beautiful (even though they are!!).

I guess it's because my grandad in Canada is a breeder and he shows he's german shepards and i'd live to follow in his footsteps.

Bailey is more important though, and if thats what the breed standard says then thats what it says!

I honestly didn't realise it was for breeding standards, I understand all of the reasons whites cant be bred.

Thankyou again

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  9. Lola's mum

Lola's mum Boxer Insane

That is also one of the reasons breeders keep back the 'best pick' of the litter so they can breed and show them if they have no health complications.

There is a Boxer show near me at 'Woodgreen animal shelter' in Godmanchester on March 25th (I think that's the correct date) if you're not too far away and would like to go see one. I go and watch Lola's breeder in the ring with her tribe :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  10. nikita_chloe

nikita_chloe Boxer Booster

GMACLEOD could not have explained it any better.....but now you understand a lot better... i could not show my chloe because she is too small, and her shoulders are not a certain width. i got her fixed because she is not breeding or showing material. AND>>>it decreases the chance of mammary cancer. So all in all, it is better for her!!! She is a 40 pound "mini" boxer! (not really a mini boxer, just small).She is my cuddle bug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.