1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where should we put his crate?

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by lsimmo, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsimmo

lsimmo Boxer Pal

We picked up our beautiful 8 week old boxer Ben on Saturday. He was the breeders pick of the litter that they wanted to keep but as he only has one testical descended in his scrotum , they couldn't keep him which the breeder was upset about. He is beautiful in every way the only problem we have with him is that he has barked and howled for the last 2 nights. I know this is to be expected but the only way we could get any sleep was for my husband to sleep outside with him, which i know isn't ideal. We have gone out and bought a crate so we are going to try to crate train him. We have read loads of stuff about crate training and some people say you should put the crate near your bed and others say not to. What do you guys think? What i thought of doing was putting the crate in our bedroom until he starts sleeping through the night then moving it back into the living room. Would this work or would he then start making a fuss as he is not near us. Are we better just leaving him in the living room from the beginning.

Sorry for the long winded post but i really need your advise.

2. CrazyCharlie

CrazyCharlie Completely Boxer Crazy

First Congrats on the new baby! As for where to put a crate, It all depends on your preference on where you want the crate. We had Jersey's crate in our bedroom. Some people keep them in the livingroom, others in the kitchen/dining area.

Depends on where you want your dog to sleep. We let our dogs sleep in our room so Jersey's crate was in our room. Which I think is perfectly fine since I could hear her if she needed to go out in the middle of the night.

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I seriously just about had a heart attack!
    I thought you meant the pup was literally OUTSIDE!

I'd personally keep the crate in your bedroom, right next to one side or the other so that one of you can easily reach down and touch him through the crate when he gets upset. He is just a baby and is missing his litter mates and needs a little comfort!

Others may not agree and think that is too much "babying" but it worked for me with my first girl. My present girl wanted nothing to do with the crate and I slept on the couch in the family room and she slept on a pillow directly below me by the couch. Anytime she would start to fuss I could reach down and pet her and she would fall back asleep. My actual bed is too high to have been able to reach down to her when she was that small.

4. srennie

srennie Super Boxer

Ha, I also had a vision of your husband curled up outside in the back yard with your pup.

I started with the crate on my nightstand so if he could see me and I could put my hand right up to the gate. After he was sleeping well that way I move it to the floor beside the bed and then to the area of the room that I wanted it to stay. We moved is crate to the bedroom at night so he could be with us and to the family room during the day....so he could be with us. Dogs are social beings and they hate to be isolated anywhere...especially our beloved velcro breed...the boxer.

5. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

we have two crates ~ one in the bedroom ( sam our older guy sleeps in the bed with us ) and one in the office ~ where we spend all of our time. I work from home & DH has cancer , so we are always home and in that room

as abby is still only 4ish mo old , she spends lots of time in it ( dont get excited guys not ALL her time ` lol ) I do have to get some work done , and cant look at her every sec.

so we like to keep her close to us & sam , where in each room he has a dog bed next to her kennel. this set up has been working well for us ! she even goes in crate to rest or tease sam when the door is open.

there is really no WRONG way to do it ~ just what works best for YOUR new baby , and the space u have for a large kennel !! :)

congrats on the new addition !

6. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Personally I would also put the crate in the bedroom. He is just a little baby and it will calm him down if he knows you are there. You can move the crate back to the living room once he is older and sleeping through the night. Although personally I like having my dogs in the same room at night (in my bed LOL).
    And post some pictures soon :) :)

7. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Personally, from day one whether older or puppies, we put our crates in the den downstairs. This is where they have stayed and we've never had an issue. If they barked, we were able to close our bedroom door and they typically stopped within a few hours.

But I also never allowed my son to sleep in our room either, so the dog sleeping in our room was a definite big no no. We prefer to start a routine and stick with it whether it's with human children or our animals. That way everyone knows what to expect.

Good luck!

8. prittiegirl

prittiegirl Super Boxer

I feel that the crate next to the bed is great for the first bit as you get to know your pup. That way you can shush them and they learn that the crate is a quiet and settled place, not a place for anxiety and barking. After you feel like you're ready (which took us a few months instead of what I thought would be a few weeks) then move the crate out of the room.

Our house is tiny, so the crate is still close to our room, but is in the hub of the house (dining room).

Good luck. I know it can be hard in the first couple of weeks!

9. avaboxer

avaboxer Boxer Booster

I have always put the puppies we get in bed and slowly move them to the floor/crate to their own bed/den. A puppy is used to feeling mommy/litter mate heart beat. If you do the crate, it usually takes puppies a week to two weeks to adjust. I have had more luck moving them to floor after they get certain age.

10. Jerrybobby

Jerrybobby Boxer Buddy

We have always had two crates since we brought Lucy home at 9 weeks. She sleeps in our bedroom in one, and the other is in the main living area downstairs where we spend time - kitchen/great room - and she is in that one during the day. She has never had an issue in either, even her first night sleeping was quiet. I think she is comforted to know we are sleeping in the same room. Two crates has worked very well for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.